Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

She hides all day and is lethargic at night. Her toes are…

She hides all day...

She hides all day and is lethargic at night. Her toes are have blacken

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Mack snow leo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, she is a leopard gecko

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the leopard gecko. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she around a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alice?

She has not eaten since last week, and her last dropping was Sat 17th

3/26/2018
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of Alice's problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.

Did the blackened toes occur after her last shed?

What temperatures do you maintain on the warm and cool sides of the tank?

What substrate do you use on the cage floor?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No, her toes were okay during her last shed.
Her cool side is 65 and her warm side is 85 degrees.
I use carpet flooring.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. The black toes indicate a nasty infection, probably a type of gangrene. It often occurs when skin sticks on the toes instead of being properly shed. That cuts off the circulation and the infection develops. Eventually it spreads up the legs and becomes life- threatening. Alice needs to be seen by a reptile vet so that doesn't happen. She will need a prescription antibiotic, and some of the toes may need to be amputated. This site has a directory of reptile vets:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlistI would also adjust the temperatures. The cool side, especially, is very cold. The warm side should be 88*F, and the cool side 82*F. Proper warmth gives the immune system a boost so Alice can better fight off infection.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I wish I could give you a home treatment, but, unfortunately, this is a situation where there isn't one. I hope Alice will be able to recover.Anna
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you.
You're very welcome. I just hope she will be ok.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist