Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Received burns on back and head from UVB light. One eye

Customer Question
Received burns on back...

Received burns on back and head from UVB light. One eye looks dull compared to the other. Have seen the vet and was prescribed oral & topical antibiotics. Will the eye improve?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Day Gecko

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Burns are certainly painful. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the gecko's name and age?

Minimus 7 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the gecko's name?

Minimus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minimus?

He is eating, drinking, and passing stool

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Reptile
3/26/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 26 days ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and I have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

When you say the Gecko was burned by a UVB light, they do not give off heat. Was he burned by a Red light or a regular light bulb?

What type of ointment are you using on the burn?

What are you using in the eye?

Was the Vet a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Could it be sunburn from UVB? Oral-baytril/Dec solution
Topical-vetropolycin
Also giving flukers gets boost
Yes Hero Vet doctor said it is a burn.

Do you know if the bulb was a 5.0 or 10.0? We generally use under the tank

heaters because geckos do not like overhead light. Did you happen to be using a Hallogen basking bulb or a full spectrum bulb?

Joan

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
5.0 and under tank heater

Unless the gecko touched the bulb he should not have gotten a burn. The UVB rays in that bulb is not that string and in cases of Metabolic Bone Disease we recommend a 10.0 bulb.

I would ask the Vet for a Prescription of Silvadene cream for the Burn. It is much more effective for healing burns in Reptiles.

As far as the eye, the UVB rays could affect the Retina and burn it in looking directly into it for a long period of time. Depending how much damage is done to the eye itself and the Retina will determine if vision will be recovered.

I have never heard of this type of accident with a Leopard gecko. I think as far as the eye goes, you will have to monitor it for the vision to return.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Can Silvadene cream and vetropolycin be used together? This only happened after moving into a new Exo Terra 18x18x24 with the new UVB lights. Only used under tank heater and conventional heat basking light.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
In the old habitat.

The silvadene on burns is 100% better than the Vetrpolycin. Silvadene is specificcally used on burns in humans and animals. The convention basking light or the red heat light sold in those kits is what I would suspect did the damage and not the UVB.A UVB could cause Photo Kerato Conjunctivitis which would make the eyes swell and close. I would not use any lighting at all and stick with the Under the tank heater or a black night light which is cooler. The red night light in the kit is infra red and can cause burns.

Did you have any other concerns? I am here tom assist you. When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 23 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 21 days ago

How is the Gecko doing? Did you find my information helpful?

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician