Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have 2 painted turtles. smaller one is male and larger one…

Customer Question
I have 2 painted...

I have 2 painted turtles. smaller one is male and larger one could be famle. smaller one is biting the larger on and hanging on, ripping the others skin and causing wounds sometimes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the turtle bleeding a lot?

Not a lot after other lets go i can see tears with a hint of blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the turtle's name and age?

Oh goodness...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the turtle?

Larger one is

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Reptile
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
smaller one is about 4 inches long. bigger one is about 5.5 inches long. thought they were both males but not sure now... bigger one we got 1st. tank is 55 gal. full of water with basking on top. we are starting to separate them but I do not want 2 tanks so we may have to find a new home for the smaller one unless this is normal.
3/25/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 25 days ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Which turtle has the longer nails?

Do you have a UVB light?

Supplements?

Is there any injuries?

Joan

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
longer nails is the smaller oneyes uvbno supplementsinjuries on larger ones neck and eye where he's been bithe/she is hiring her head inside more now

What strength is the UVB a 5.0 or 10.0, and age of bulb?

Joan

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
i think 5 and prob 1 yr old

The turtle which you said was the small one has the long nails is a Male. What you have described is mating. The male will first stroke the female with his nails in the mating dance and then bite her neck for breeding.

The UVB should be a 10.0 and is needed to metabolize a calcium supplement that should be avaialble in the tank and on the food daily. The calcium is metabolized by the UVB into D3 in the body to prevent Metabolic Bone Diseas.

You will need to replace the UVB bulb ever 6 months and use a Reptisun 10.0, add a calcium block or cuttlebone to the tank. and dust food with a calcium supplement. As far as the diet it should be 75% meat which includes canned cat food or worms like earthworms and 25% should be dark leafy greens with the exception of kale or spinach, they bond calcium and are no good.

If the male suceeds in breeding you will need to prepare a lay box as the turtle will want to lay her eggs on a land area.

The breeding bhavior will continue as this is spring and the turtles feel it.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. YOU also neeed to have a full spectrum basking bulb as well as the UVB

Did you have any more questions I can help with today? I am here to assist you. If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 23 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician