Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have my leopard gecko 17 months. She recently went through…

Customer Question
I have my leopard...

I have my leopard gecko 17 months. She recently went through a shedding again but her front legs don’t seem right since. It’s been about a week and she is using her elbows like dragging her self but her back legs is fine. She has carpet in a 10 gallon tank. Daytime and night time light

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the leopard gecko's name?

Lulu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?

Since this is just recent I’m not sure what is significant. I would take her to a vet if she recommends one in my area please. Lawrenceburg Kentucky

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Reptile
3/24/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 26 days ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 yearss.

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

Substrate?

Diet?

Supplements and how often given?

Do you keep supplements?

The tank?

Temps in the enclosure?

Joan

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
10 Gallon tank. Carpet on bottom cave rock for humidity. A hammock and moss stick for climbing. Cricket and meal worm diet. I was calcium dusting and a friend said d not necessary since my gecko was 1 1/2 at that time. I gave calcium dusted crickets today. It has the heater under bottom on one side and about 80 temp and 2 humidity
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
20 humidity
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok thank you. What do I need to do?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I am not sure why you can call
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I see the charges on my card but get an error from your sight it doesn’t make me feel real comfortable at this time

I was notified of failure for Phone call so you were not charged as far as I can see only for the question. I do not handle the finances. Only the care and answering questions.

You will need to get a Reptisun 10.0 bulb

You will need to dust the Prey with calcium as well as adding a dish of calcum to the enclosure.

The Metabolic Bone Disease from lack of calcium has weakened the bones in the front legs. I sugges gently heling straightening them out once the calcium is being administred and the UVB light is in place. I am hoping this will help strengthen them and reverse the damage from the lack of calcium.

Joan

Did you have any other questions that I can help with? If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
it can be reversed? I’ll be on my way to get a light and yes I will rate this. Thank you so much

We can stop progression, but will take time to regain the strngth and rebuild the bones. Generally I suggest a Herp Vet visit for some special calcium. If you should need a Herp Vet,, I can locate some for you. Please do not believe what you read online and listen to people who do not know about geckos.

I do appreciate a 5 star rating. I am not paid by the site until I hav a positive rating.

Joan

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
please I would like a contact for herp vet. Thank you

Please supply a state and I can get you a list.

Joan

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Kentucky

This is a list of Herp Vets in KY

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/kentucky.html

Joan

Even after rating you can come back here for a follow up. I am on 365 a year.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician