Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I think he got impacted and is showing signs of paralysis,

I think he got...

I think he got impacted and is showing signs of paralysis

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon baby

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dragon?

He was dragging himself earlier today I gave him warm bathes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?

He pooped out the worm

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations the dragon can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dragon's name and age?

Flash 4 months not sue if our vet looks at them will not know till morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dragon's name?

Flash

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flash?

No he was fine when we first got him he had a back leg issue but it got better he was so fast hence flash now he can’t get across the bottom of his tank

3/24/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me what substrate you are using?

UVB age strength and brand>

Full spectrum basking light?

Diet Veggies and Prey?

Supplements and how often fed?

Temps in basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

Passing stool and urates?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s the lights from the pet store red and white his tank temp maintained 80 -85
He has been eating crickets moved into meal worms on every 2 days he gets a bath every second day which helps him pass his worms he missed one day before yesterday as I was sick in bed when I bathed him yesterday he passed 2 worms I bathed him today he passed one. I bathed him again his movement improved he is shedding a bit sticking his tongue out slightly at first it was all his legs no energy now he’s doing pretty good with front not back I’m freaked out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not calling I can type
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello

The call is not from me it is offered by the site.

Do you have a UVB bulb? It would be a compact coil if it is a UVB and would say 5.0 or 10.0

Do you feed any supplements>What is the Veggies and Prey you are feeding?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already answered that on red one white
120 volt 100 watt both sides zoo medMeal worms crickets
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
R u there

You have been given some poor advice and wrong lighting and food. If you only have a red and white bulb you have no UVB, you have not said if you are feeding veggies or giving supplements or how often. I can tell you now the Dragon is not Impacted , but is suffereing from Metabolic Bone Disease do to improper lighting and possibly lack of supplements and wrong diet. Your temps are wrong as well you need 3 temperature zones.

We have a lot to cover and that is why I need the answers to all the questions I asked.

Do you feed supplements, how often and what type.

Do you feed Veggies and what type?

Type of substrate>?

Size of tank?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Advice came from the pet store
He doesn’t eat veggies we were told crickets and worms
He gets calcium on the crickets
He at some arugula but then would not eat it
What is substrate?
He’s in a big tank
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will he get better or no
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has his red light at night and a cool hot side he was sleeping in his leaves and moves back and forth if he gets to warm or cold
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would he get that in two days he was totally fine does that happen that fast?

I have worked with Dragons close to 50 years. and Pet shops gave you poor advice. They sell items that they are told to sell without proper knowledge of the care. I am going to give you my care sheet and I am going to tell you how to correct the husbandry and diet to help him . YOu will need some new lighting as well as supplements veggies and other items. I will give you a step by step . Right now he is in the early stages of Metabolic Bone disease, but if you do not make the corrections I suggest he will get worse. It not only affect bones, but organs too.

Please let me start typing what you need to do. You still never answered if you give supplements or what the substrate is in the tank or tank size. Youmentioned he had a problem with his legs it is a progressive disease. https://www.thespruce.com/metabolic-bone-disease-in-reptiles-1237237

Joan

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I asked what a substrate is
I said his tank was big it was the tank our last one was in
Are u not getting my answers?

The tank should b a 40 gallon breeder tank with either Carpet, tile or paper for substrate. Loose substrate can cause an impaction. and should never be used. The lighting you should have is a full spectrum white Basking spotlight, a UVB that is a Reptisun 10.0 eith compact coil or linear tube. THe UVB is most important because it supplies artificial sunlight and works with a daliy calcium supplement to metabolize the calcium into D3 in the body. The red light you got is for night time use. Your temps should be 105-110 in the basking area and this is most important for digestion, the ambient temps should be 90's and cool side is mid 80's

MORE TO COME

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is on the carpet
His lights must be wrong
Think it’s a 30 litre tank we got it at pet store with all the stuff it was a package
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will he get better and be able to walk again or no

The diet under a year old should be 20% veggies no spinach or Kale because they bind calcium. You can include collar greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole, curly endives and butternut squash. This is a nutrition sheet follow the green foods: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Prey should be 80% of the diet. DO NOT FEED MEAL WORM OR SUPER WORM. They are not digestible for Dragons. They are too high in chitin and fat in the super worms causes liver damage.

All food should be dusted with calcium 5 days a week as a good Vitamin 2 days a week This is imperative to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease.

More To Come

which is what you can do to help

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will he get better or stay paralyzed?

I doubt it is a 30 litre because that is only 7 gallons. You need a Breeder tank 40 gallon [refered/

To help him you need to correct the lighting You will need a Reptisun 10,0 UVB light and it will need to be changed every 6 months. You need to start the correct diet I have given you above and use the calcium I have suggest 5 days a week and the Vitamins two days a week. No more Meal worms. You can feed Phoenix worms which are high in calcium and soft bodied. Silk worms, crickets or dubia roached. The feeder can be ordered online.

You will need to correct the temperature.When you give a soak add some calcium into the soak. Dragons can absorn fluids through the Vent area and the skin so he will get the calcium. If it is warm outside where you live take him put for 15 mins of real sunlight twice a day. The UVB light needs to run 12 -14 hours a day. If you make the coorection I have suggested and do what I have said we can stop the progression of the MBD and reverse some of the damage from not having The UVB, supplements and poor husbandry suggested by the Pet shop.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Some of the damage? So he won’t ever walk again?

Once he starts getting what he needs he should start walking again. You have a lot of corrections to make and to sooner you do these corrections the better. I am going to give you my care sheet.

Joan

earded Dragon Care Sheet

• Bearded dragons should be housed alone.
  • Can live aslong as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
  • Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
  • When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
  • Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
  • Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
  • Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
  • A hide of some sort like a cave.
  • A food dish and water dish.
  • Plastic spray bottle
  • Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
  • Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
  • Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
  • Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.

1. A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

• Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.
  • Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Basking area 105*-110*F

Wanm side mid 90's

Cool side: 85*-87*F

Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

• Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed meal worms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,
  • A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.
  • What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be wax worms, super worms, and tomato/Goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.
  • Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens.
  • A baby eat 50-75 crix a day depending on the size of the crickets. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
  • You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.
  • Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

*Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask. I like to start people off with proper husbandry and then see if I can further assist.

Fruits and Vegetables

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Walnut shell Graphic: http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htm

Sexing bearded Dragons: http://repticzone.com/articles/sexingbeardeddragons.html

Metabolic Bone Disease: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars. If you have questions, please hit reply.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
tk u so very much

You are welcome! Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I hope you see why I asked so many questins.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician