Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Are you familiar with chameleons? He has been sick for a…

Customer Question
Are you familiar with...

Are you familiar with chameleons?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the chameleon?

He has been sick for a really long time. He has a really bad infected eye that I have been treating with eye medication but is not working and is only getting worse. His eye is 3 times the size of a normal eye with a huge red bulge and I think he has a sinus infection because he has two growing hard lumps in between his eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the chameleon can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the chameleon's name?

Pluto

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pluto?

Not that I can think of, just that he has been really sick like this for a while and I don't want him to be in any pain

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Reptile
3/23/2018
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 2 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I’m reviewing your question now and will be right back.
I’m sorry to hear your chameleon is so sick. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.Is this a veiled chameleon or some other type?What brand of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?What do you feed? Any supplements?What is the name of the eye medication you are using?Thank you.
I have a 2 and a half year old male veiled chameleon. He has exactly 12 hours of basking time with a temperature that ranges in the high 90s on the hot side of the cage, and the high 80s on the low side. He also has a brand new UVB bulb that turns on exactly the same time as the basking so that he gets 12 hours of each. At night the cage temperature drops to be in the 80s. He has an automatic mister and I spray him often as well to keep the humidity up. I have tried many different humidity meters but they keep breaking or misreading so I am not sure what the humidity is usually at, but I think it ranges from 40 percent to 50 percent. I used to feed him a variety of different bugs (meal worms, crickets, super worms) but he really only liked the dubai roaches that we breed. They are gut loaded with lots of fruits and veggies, and dusted with calcium supplements. The amount of food he has been consuming varies a ton, sometimes he goes more than a week without eating and sometimes he eats about ten roaches a day. I have been giving him Neo-Poly-Bac Ophth. Ointment in his effected eye once a day.
I have attached some photos. I tried to capture some pictures of the rest of his body but I couldn't. He seems to be okay for the rest of body. I am just worried he is and has been in terrible pain for months. The reptile vet I have near me is not great at all.
IMG-0374.JPGIMG-0374.JPGIMG-0373.JPGIMG-0373.JPGIMG-0372.JPGIMG-0372.JPGIMG-0371.JPGIMG-0371.JPGIMG-0370.JPGIMG-0370.JPG
Thank you for getting back to me and for the pictures. I just reviewed everything and looked at all the photos. I'm working on some information for you now and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting. This is no ordinary eye infection.

There are several possible explanations for the lumps, including an abscess, a tumor, or an infected cricket bite. It would be impossible to be sure based only an online description, but the location of the lumps concerns me. I think your suspicions are right. The chameleon's sinus cavity is located between the eyes. Swelling there can indicate an infected sinus. It can also spread to the eye area, which can result in the swelling you see. If that's what it is, it requires rapid treatment. Regardless of what the lump is, chameleons are very delicate, and whenever anything is wrong, it's best to see a reptile vet early. Once more symptoms appear, it is often too late.This site has a directory of such vets. There may be one closer than you think.

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

There is nothing you can do on your own to treat this. You're providing good care, and that's all you can do. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope your chameleon will be able to reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

I unfortunately do not have any reptile vets near me. I had one vet that gave me the prescription but was unhelpful and did not seem to know a lot about chameleons. So basically, a vet isn't something I can go to because I don't have any near me. Do you think there is no chance that he will recover on his own? I love him dearly but I do not want him to suffer, and I was considering euthanizing him. I really want to make the right decision, but I am stuck without a vet near me.
I hope it goes without saying but euthanasia would be a last resort, I am just worried that this is where I am at right now and I have no other options.
It's not going to get better on your own. Would the vet who gave you the prescription be willing to work by phone consultation with a reptile vet? That is common in areas where there are no specialists. Check the directory for the nearest one, then see if that vet will work with your local one. If not, you may have to consider euthanasia. That's very sad, but sometimes there is no choice.
Thank you for the advice. I will try to get in touch with a specialist that way, but if I can’t, what is the most humane way to euthanize him?

You're welcome. Your local vet should be able to handle that. The same drugs are used that are used for dogs and cats. There really is no good way to do it at home. Some people do, but I can't in good conscience recommend those ways. However, if you want to read about them, here is a summary written by a vet:

http://www.anapsid.org/euth.html

In some areas, local animal shelters will provide euthanasia as a public service. You'd have to call and ask.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Hello again,

I'm just checking to see how things are going with Pluto.

Anna