Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Beardeddragon. Beardeddragon. Beardeddragon dragon. Refusing…

Beardeddragon Veterinarian's Assistant: What...

Beardeddragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Beardeddragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Beardeddragon dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dragon?

Refusing to eat vegs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?

Won't eat veggies

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dragon's name and age?

Echo. 2yrs

3/23/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years,

How old is your Dragon?

How long have you owned the dragon?

Substare?

UVB, strength, age and brand?

Basking spotlight?

Diet veggie type and/Prey type?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambient temps and cool side?

Joan

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
She's about2,had for 6 months. Paper substrate, lights all new
Kale,all she'll touch, and super worms. Calcium supps
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Kale,all she'll touch, and super worms. Calcium supps.she played 30 eggs ystrday, hasn't ate greens in 2 wks
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?​

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Same, starting Pedialyte soaks

1) What are the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

2) Are vegetables the only thing that Echo will not consume, or is she avoiding all food?

3) When did she last eat veggies normally? Any fruits?

4) What types of lights are you using?

5) Any recent changes in the habitat or environment?

6) Was she bred or is this an infertile clutch?
7) What supplements are used and how often?

Give me as much information as you can. The more detailed you are the better able I will be able to assist you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Basking site 105, cool side mid 70s. Eating superworms, never ate anything but kale,tried it all. Been prob months 3.all new and proper lighting and calcium supps.no recent changes. She was infertile. Soups used everyday once
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Sorry, been probably 3 weeks no veggies

And, if I understand correctly, your biggest concern is that she's not eating her veggies. Is this correct?

Greens are an important part of the diet, but beardies can survive on insects alone, if necessary. It's not uncommon for them to become picky over time, so a wide variety of options may need to be considered to get her eating these types of foods again.

Here are a few things to try:

1) Try offering a variety of wide greens including herbs and plants which haven't yet been offered. Here are some examples (toxic and "safe" plants both listed: http://bdogroup.org/nutritn/plants/plants.html.)

2) Offer greens through a nutritional supplement like critical care. Many dragons enjoy this from a syringe: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021WRJFE/ref=asc_df_B0021WRJFE5415880/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0021WRJFE&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198101685250&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1041686959867430301&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026250&hvtargid=pla-354907067511

3) Offer other veggies aside from just greens, like squash, pumpkin, carrots, yams, parsnip, etc. You can also offer these as pureed human baby foods in appropriate food options. Dragons often take this well hand fed on dollops on their snout, by syringe or even consumed in a shallow dish.

4) Don't forget fruits, as well: Berries are popular, watermelon, grapes, peaches, apples, etc. You can mix these in with veggies (such as apple and carrots, chopped) if she is more apt to eat them together. You can also use these in pureed baby foods for your dragon, as well.

5) Consider a vet visit, if she hasn't had one. Some dragons are more prone to avoiding certain foods if they harbor intestinal parasites, protozoan and certain bacterias. In these dragons, we often see them selecting food items which are higher value, like insects. Your vet will want to collect a fresh fecal sample from her for good measure. This will be of higher importance if she's had a high stress event in her life (like laying eggs). Take your supplements with you, along with boxes on the bulbs you're using. Your vet will want to be sure that all of them are appropriate for her health and care at home. If you need help finding a reptile veterinary resource in your area, let me know. I'll need your state of residence.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse