Sand impacvtion in my leopard gecko. her anus is completely blocked. Sand impaction. Anus. Swollen blockage. on her anus

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Sand impacvtion in my leopard gecko. her anus is completely blocked
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your leopard gecko?
Customer: sand impaction
JA: Where does your leopard gecko seem to hurt?
Customer: anus
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: yes
JA: What?
Customer: swollen blockage. on her anus about the size of a dime
JA: What is your leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Lizzy, 17 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your leopard gecko?
Customer: hasn't eaten in a couple weeks and her tail is getting skinny. She shed twice in 2 weeks.
JA: The Expert will know if your leopard gecko will be able to digest that. What is the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: Lizzy
Answered by Jav917 in 35 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and I have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

What you are describing is an emergency situation. I am surprised she has not had a prolapse as of yet with the sand. First step is to get Lizzy into a warm soak and clean the vent area of san so you can see what you are dealing with. Gently massage the abdomen from snout to Vent. This will help move stool through the intestinal tract. If you use calci sand it hardens like a tums or Rolaids because it is calcium carbonate. Once you get the vent area cleaned up, please look for a prolapse which would be part of the intestinal tract coming through the vent. when area is cleaned try getting lizzy to swim, this will help move stool too. Tomorrow I would like you to try a little pure canned pumpkin and drop on her snout and allow her to lick it off. This is fiber and hopefully help her to pass the blockage Wait 45 mins after you feed the pumpkin and put back in a warm soak with the massage. If the pumpkin , soak amd massage does not seem to help, I suggest a Herp Vet visit. If you do not have a Herp Vet, Please supply a location and I can locate some for you.

Please hit reply and we can disuss this further.

Joan

Customer
Gresham, Oregon
Customer
How much do herp surgeries usually cost for an impaction like this?

In a case like this we do not know if the blockage is the whole intestinal tract or just at the anus. Generally a Herp Vet visit where I am is $65. They may try laculose or parafin before surgical intervention.

Joan

That looks pretty bad. I would start with the soaks. The more we can get removed the better and see if we can get some stool and urates passing.

Joan

Customer
How often for soaking? I've soaked her twice tonight for 30 minutes at a time with a hour break between baths. I'm not 100% sure but it looks like the blockage is at the anus and its very hard. Like a rock.

I am wondering if that is an abscess or tumor. An abscess in Reptiles has cheesey material and can get big and hard. A tumor can also pop up and be hard. I think an exam hands on by a Herp Vet is needed. In the picture I can see the lump, but looks off to the side of the vent area.Generally we do not see anything like that in particular with a sand impaction.

Joan

Customer
Can you recommend a herp vet in my area? 97080 zip code.

These are OR Vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/oregon.html

I truly feel that this requires being seen. Lizzy is getting up in years and we do not want to stress her and the Herp Vet will be able to determine if this is an impaction ot something else.

Please let me know if there any other concerns and please let me know the diagnosis.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.