Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My leopard gecko seems ok but doesn't seem interested in…

My leopard gecko seems...

My leopard gecko seems ok but doesn't seem interested in eating

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your leopard gecko's name and age?

Lucky and I think she is about a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lucky?

About a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?

Not really just not interested in food

3/21/2018
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.How long has it been since Lucky ate?Has she been passing any droppings?What temperatures do you maintain on the warm and cool sides of the cage?What substrate do you use on the cage floor?What do you usually feed her?Thank you.
I'm not sure how long I have 2 Leo's together but I do see a lot of droppings 90 on hot 79 on cool I use paper towels and I try meal worms wax worms and crickets she has gone after crickets but can't catch them so she gives up
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting. The foods you have offered are good, the temperatures are acceptable (ideal is 88*F on the warm side and 82*F on the cool side), and paper towels are an excellent substrate. That means we have ruled out many of the common causes of appetite loss in geckos. I'm afraid that chances are good that Lucky is actually sick, and will need to be seen by a vet. However, I'll give you something to try before that.

Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak Lucky for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their skin and vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

You can try an alternate method of feeding. You'll need some meat baby food (lamb, chicken, etc.). Drop a small dollop of the food right on the end of Lucky's snout. Most of the time, reflexes will cause them to lick it off.

Unless you see a big improvement after a couple of soaks, I recoemmend that Lucky be examined by a reptile vet. The fact that she can't catch crickets is worrisome. Geckos usually have no problem with that. This link will take you to a directory of vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope Lucky will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

It's weird her tail is fat and she seems fine
I’m sorry for the delay - I was away for an appointment. Yes, usually they lose weight in their tail. Are you certain she is not eating? Could she be eating worms when you aren’t watching?
When they are a little older do their appetite go I put a lot in and if there are any missing it is only a few so I don't notice could that be it
They do eat more when they are young and growing rapidly. As long as Lucky looks and acts healthy, she probably is eating enough.
Thank you for your help
You're very welcome. Just keep an eye on the situation, as I'm sure you do. It wouldn't hurt anything to give Lucky a soak just in case.
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
One last question should I keep misting the tank

You don't need to do it often. They do need a humid hide box, but don't require high humidity overall. To help you with care, I'm sending alone a care sheet written by Joan, one of my colleagues. You can use it a checklist to provide the best care.

Leopard Gecko Care Sheet

The Leopard Gecko is originally from Pakistan, India, and a few other countries in Asia. They actually live on hard rocky outcrops and they are nocturnal (active at night). They prefer temperatures between 82 and 88 degrees (28* to 31*C) all day and night. They grow to between 8 to 11 inches. Leopard Geckos are available in a wide range of colors and patterns which are the result of selective captive breeding. These include albino, ghost, striped, jungle, Leucistic and high yellow. These colors have been made possible through selective captive breeding. Leopard Geckos make wonderful pets for almost any age person. Leopard Geckos also make good long term pets. They can live over twenty years. Never grab by tail it will break off.

Leopard Gecko Housing: A male Leopard Gecko should never be housed in the same cage as another male leopard gecko because they will fight and possibly kill one another. A male can be housed with several females without any problems. I do not advise housing leopard geckos in the same cage with any other reptiles. A single Leopard Gecko can be kept in a ten gallon tank. For a male and a few females a twenty gallon tank or larger should be used. The cage should have a screen lid on top of it to prevent any escapes. Leopard geckos need places to hide and sleep during the day so you must provide a couple of hiding spots. They need a warm hiding spot and a cold humid hiding spot. Just put one hide box on the side with the heat light and put the humid hide box on the side that does not have the heat light. I actually prefer an under the tank heater for heat source rather than a light since the geckos are Nocturnal. For the humid hide box, Paper Towels work well and easily replaced inside a hide box. You can make your own humid hide box from a small plastic shoe box or from a margarine container. Cut a hole in one end of the container and place moist paper towel inside it. The humid box should be cleaned out every week and re moistened. A humid hide box is needed so that the gecko can go in it when it needs to shed. The humidity helps the old skin come off.

Substrate: There is an abundance of products on the market that claim to be safe substrates. All Loose Substrates (Please note the link above) however are not safe to use. A substrate is what you put on the bottom of the cage for the lizard to walk around on. If a Leopard Gecko ingests any of the substrate accidentally, the substrate must pass through the digestive system. Trust me they will ingest substrate, sometimes on purpose. If it does not easily pass through the digestive system compaction will occur. Compaction is an extreme blockage of the digestive tract and is often fatal. Some substrates that I consider unsafe because they can cause compaction are: sand, bark, Calci sand, crushed walnut shells, lizard litter, gravel, aquarium gravel, and coconut fiber. The safest substrate is using paper towels or plain newspaper, non-stick shelf liner , cage carpet or ceramic tile. For any leopard geckos that are younger than six months I advise using paper towels or plain newspaper until they are at least six months old. Calcium sand is not fully digested no matter what it claims. The stuff just does not break down completely. . Leopard

Gecko Heating and Temperature: The cage should be between 82 to 88 degrees (28*C to 31*C)all day and night. There are two basic ways to heat the cage. One is to use a under tank heater like heat tape. The other is to use a black, or blue night incandescent heat light. I prefer to use a heat light. For a 10 gallon tank a 60 watt bulb should work depending on room temperature. Place the heat light on one end of the cage. By putting the heat light on one end of the cage it keeps that side warmest and allows the gecko to move to the warmer side with the light or to the colder side without the light as needed to regulate body temperature.

NEVER EVER USE A HOT ROCK, HEAT ROCK, OR ANY SIMILAR PRODUCT. Hot rocks heat unevenly and are notorious for causing terrible thermal

Hi Stef,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna