Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have asked the question just now. My tortoise stretched…

Hi!I have asked the question...
Hi!I have asked the question just now. My tortoise stretched out his neck and took some deep breathing. Understand this is serious Ling infection and he was given anti-botics by the vet here. Understand he is lack of vitamins.Are there any facilities to do X-ray? Understand there can be no X-ray done for tortoises. Today, he coughs out blood. Understand his mouth got irregular stretch inside.Currently he is under vet care. How can we take good care of him when he is back tomorrow?He stays in a plastics container and take tortoise sticks. When he is better, how can we improve his living condition?Thank you very much!
3/21/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

I can help you with home care.

Can you tell me if you have a UVB light, strength, band and age?

Type of turtle?

Temps in enclosure?

Full spectrum basking light?

Supplements?

Joan

I am responding here since this is where I started. Imaging of the Tortoise can be done but it requires the right type of machine. In any case it sounds like your Tortoise is very ill. Bening preapred when he comes home will be very important. You will need to have his enclosure to proper temps, the UVB up to date with a Reptisun 10.0.

Did the Vet insert a feeding tube to feed the tortoise? The Antibiotics should take about 72 hours to get the infection under control.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Joan, thanks for your reply! The vet has informed he may have pneumonia... may have to do X-ray.. they are treating him now..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can’t insect a tube yet as he is weak.. hope he can recover well...

He should with the proper combination of medications. They may want to insert a feeding tube as soon as stable since his appetite will take some time to come back and the feeding tube willmake life much easier once home and stable.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much! Doing a X-ray now and see how we can help our tortoise. Thank you!! ��

You are welcome! Please take a moment to press 5 stars at the top of the page so I can recieve credit for my work.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
May I know how to give 5 stars.. I tried press on TOP of the page, but it leads me to another page? Thx!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. Done! Thx Lotz, Joan.
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician