Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My chameleon is very dark and lethargic. He is not

Customer Question
My chameleon is very...

My chameleon is very dark and lethargic. He is not interested in crickets, stays in the bottom of the cage (so he is probably at less than 70 degrees). I sprayed him with vitamins and water. He has a dripper, and I mist him twice a day, give him about 10 small crickets every day and he is normally very enthusiastic about them. He is about a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your chameleon. What is the chameleon's name?

And I dust crickets once a week

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your chameleon?

Yoga veiled chameleon

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Reptile
3/21/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 4 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

UVB light, age strength and brand?

Basking spotlight?

Temps in basking area and ambient temp?

Joan

Do you have a automister?

He seems a little better this morning. He went through some stress this weekend when we had to move his cage. This morning he is back in his basking spot (78 degrees). I just don’t understand why he was down in the cold when stressed? We keep the house around 68 during the day. Good point though, it is time to change his uv bulb... I dont have an automister but I spray him twice a day.

The Basking area should be 90-95*F. The ambient temp at upper 70's. It is important to keep him well misted. I was going to suggest a soak in warm water if he was still at the bottom of the ennclosure I do suggest a timed automister we see many problems as a Result of UVB being too weak, not enough misting resulting in dehydration and improper temps. I suggest a Reptisun 10.0 UVB to be replaced every 6 months, an automister for hydration and the tempsto be steady in the basking are at 90*-95* and checked with a Temp gun. These adjustments should help keep him feeling better. Keeping him in a low traffic area and up high is alsovery important for his health.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 3 months ago

Checking in on your chameleon. How is the chameleon? Was my information helpful? If you found my information helpful, please take a momentto rate my service 5 stars.

Joan