Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My leopard gecko has not eating for a few days and has not…

Hello, my leopard gecko...

Hello, my leopard gecko has not eating for a few days and has not gone the bathroom in a while

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your leopard gecko's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's around 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dennis?

I don't know if this is important but he lives with another gecko of around the same age.. and Dennis mostly eats meal worms and occasionally crickets

3/20/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with reptiles for over 40 years.

What type of substrate are you using?

Supplements?

When was Dennis' last shed?

Is the other Gecko a Male or female?

Temps in enclosure?

Heat source?

Joan

The geckos are on a reptile carpet, they get calcium on top if their meal worms and crickets every other day. Dennis last shed around 5 days ago. The Gecko I believe is a male. The temps in the enclosure are kept between 78-83 degrees F, I use both a heat lamp and a heating pad because one without the other only gets the temperature in the low to mid 70's on the hot side of their cage. (Hard to keep things warm in Vermont in the winter)

Two males will fight as they get older so want to alert you to that. YOu should be using calcium daily a.nd a have a dish in the enclosure to lick any time the want it. I am concerned that Dennis may have retained eye shed. This can cause a Gecko to go off food. You will need to look closely at the eyes to check for retained shed.

We can try helping him by giving a nice warm soak and gently massage the abdomen from snout to vent. This should help promote a stool. You can try emergency feeding by gently rubbing the meal worm on his mouth. If he does not eat that way we can try baby food chicken stage one with a pinch of calcium in it and drop a dab on the snout and allow him to lick it off.

As far as temps the enclosure should be 84-88 in the tank. Any lower and the Geckos may shut down and they need that heat to digest their food.

This is a link for Vetont Herp Vet if he does not respond:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/vermont.html

Please hit reply to discuss this information. If I have addreesed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Dennis is a female (I think I've been saying "he" by mistake. Her eyes look clear and bright, and she's been pretty active lately. She does keep licking her underside which has me a bit worried. I have her out with me right now, is there anything I can do/check out on her that would give you some more helpful information?

If you look at her belly do you see egg outlines? You will want to always keep a Lay box in the tank you can mis some good quality drit with sand and moisten in and cover the lay box with a half log. If she is in with a Male she could lay eggs.

I would try the soak and feeding and see if you can get her jump started.

If she does not pass stool after her soak, you can try some baby food prunes abput 1-2 mls, waith 45 mins and back into the soak and massage. This should produce a stool.

Joan

how would you recommend soaking her... she's never been a fan of soaking and will always run out of the dish/bowl. I make sure that the water is not too or too cool, just above luke warm.

Water should be 80-85*. I suggest putting the shallow soak in the dishpan and the dishpan for the soak in the kitchen sink or a bathtub. This is done so if Dennis does get out there is nowhere to go. You withh laso be hold her to massage the abdomen. This is actually very effective.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Okay, thank you so much. I'm going to go soak and massage her now.