Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

She is a crested gecko. Not eating. Tango. 3 years. I've…

She is a crested...

She is a crested gecko. Not eating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the gecko's name and age?

Tango. 3 years. I've owned her for @ 1 month.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tango?

She laid eggs a couple weeks ago. Likely infertile.

3/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What are the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) When did she last eat?

4) What bulbs are being used for the habitat, if any?

5) Can you share pictures of her current condition?

6) What does her diet consist of?

7) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?
8) Are you seeing any eye twitching, toe twitching or tail twitching? Any seizures?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1. Temps between 68 at night to 77 in late afternoon. Avg around 74.
2. Zoo med Eco Earth, some sphagnum moss.
3. I think about 9 days ago. Hard to tell since she's active at night.
4. None.
5. Not available.
6. Pangea Banana papaya complete diet
7. None.
8. I have not. Is active at night. Does not like to come out when I'm around. Was handling her about a week ago--she seemed fine. Energetic and responsive.

All due respect to Pangea, the company, I have still witnessed female cresties going through metabolic bone disease even while on their diet (that should be complete). I always recommend adding calcium to their diet, especially for adult females or are or will be laying eggs. The recent production of eggs may well have left her with lower than normal calcium stores that are slowly being depleted over the days and weeks that have followed.

I would recommend a few things:

First, a veterinary visit. This is always recommended when an animal is not doing well and isn't eating. If you do not already have a reptile vet, you can find one using this resource in your area: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/

Second, obtain calcium+vitamin D from your local pet store and add a heaping teaspoon of it in to a small jar of pureed human baby food. I recommend any fruit flavor you can find such as peach, pear, banana, etc. My cresties have always been a huge fan of Gerber desserts in "Blueberry Buckle". Once you have this mixed, begin feeding it by placing small dollops on her snout. Do this 2-4x daily and have her eat her fill. Continue to offer her the Pangea diet, too.

Third, try to stimulate her appetite with live prey such as small crickets. Do not place these in her habitat but use a plastic shoebox or Tupperware. Crickets can injure geckos, especially those with fine skin like cresties. If she wants to eat them, dust them in the calcium powder too.

Fourth, begin soaking her in tepid water 2x daily for 20 minutes. The water should come up to her shoulders and her head should remain above water at all times.

These steps should all help to get her back to feeling herself again and with a normal appetite.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the advice. One thing I'd add is that I offered discoid roaches a while ago in a small dish in the bottom of her enclosure. In a few days the roaches were gone. They may have escaped, but they couldn't climb up the side of the dish so I don't know. I tried offering a few more roaches last week but she wasn't interested.
Also, although she seem not to be eating, she is not the least bit lethargic.

Reptiles function much more slowly than mammals do, so we may see quite a few days go by (months in some cases) where animals don't eat and their demeanor remains the same. She should be eating, though. I would offer the roaches (or crickets) in a container you can put her directly in to see if she will eat them under your watchful eye.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again. I promise I will rate your response, but first want to get a few other opinions.

No problem.

Checking in. How is your companion doing today? There's no charge for sending an update on their condition or asking any additional same-topic questions in regards ***** ***** care.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had her out yesterday and got her to lick a little Pangea off a popsicle stick. Tried a discoid roach but she wasn't interested. I took a few pictures but your '+ Add files' feature does not work.
I'm going to try a different diet--maybe the baby food idea--but I've always read that baby food is not good for geckos.

I would strongly disagree with what you've read regarding baby food and geckos, especially crested geckos. Are you familiar with their natural habitat? Rhacodactylus ciliatus have a natural habitat in New Caledonia. They survive primarily on insects, fruits and nectar. The baby foods I have recommended to you specifically follow their natural appetite. I've owned cresteds for close to 15 years, when they first hit the pet market. This was far before companies like Pangea, Repashy and others were even making commercial diets. The first diets on the market for these geckos were specific to using soft fruits, baby food, honey, bee pollen and such. All crest owners were making diets by hand back then. What you're likely reading is that baby food is not a COMPLETE diet for crested geckos, which is entirely true. We're not trying for a complete diet here, JACustomer, we're trying to get your companion to eat who has been avoiding food for upwards of 10 days now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. I'll try the baby food w/calcium d3 and let you know.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh, the add file feature seems to work now, so here are some pictures from yesterday.
20180319_173730.jpg2018031...jpg20180319_173744.jpg2018031...jpg20180319_174202.jpg2018031...jpg20180319_174308.jpg2018031...jpg20180319_174623.jpg2018031...jpg20180319_174912.jpg2018031...jpg

You're welcome. Good luck!

She's looking thin but still in good body condition. Are you seeing her colors changing at all (aka. is she firing up at night?)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She fires a little at night. In these pictures I'd just pulled her out of a hide and woke her. When she sleeps she's tannish in color, but she was actually more orange than the photos show. Her "official" morph is "red bicolor dalmatian" btw

She's looking much more buckskin in these photos, which does suggest she's definitely feeling under the weather. She should have much more contrast (even when not fired up) for a bicolor and especially for a red.

Excellent. Hopefully with the steps you're taking you can get her back to health and her normal colors. She looks much more vibrant in the last two pics.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe it was because she was rudely awakened from a sweet gecko dream. :)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
So Tuesday night I left some pear baby food mixed with calcium and d3 in her dish. Wednesday morning it looked untouched. But last night she was hanging on the glass over the dish, and this morning it looks a little disturbed. Maybe she ate some.

Excellent, I certainly hope she has. Has she responded to being hand-fed at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I took a little food on a popsicle stick and smeared it on her lips, she licked it off, and even licked it off the stick.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess the proof will be if she poops in the next few days. She has not for quite a while.

Awesome, that's a good start. Keep me posted, hopefully stools will be witnessed soon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think she's eating again. No stool yet, though.
I switched her back to Pangea. I'm going to try a few other flavors, as a little variety may help.
Tried a couple discoid roaches but she wasn't interested.
Thanks for your help.

Sure thing!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse