Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My bearded dragon that’s a couple of months old just caught…

My bearded dragon that’s a...
My bearded dragon that’s a couple of months old just caught and ate a stink bug. We are trying to find a vet that’s open late on a Sunday, but we aren’t sure what to do.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/18/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good evening, Jamie. Stinkbugs are not ideal food sources and we do not recommend feeding any variety of wild insect because you cannot be sure the insect is healthy. This can cause a wide range of problems from a GI upset to parasites. Please try to avoid this happening in the future and feed only captive bred insects that you give intentionally. Stinkbugs typically, if we see any signs at all, can cause a bearded dragon to feel unwell. I would offer some additional food at this time such as greens, pureed baby food, etc. You will want to keep a close eye out for any behavioral changes which may indicate a need for a physical examination, though none may be needed if she shows no signs of ailment. I would continue feeding her normally and watching closely for changes. Typically if you see no illness in 24 hours, your companion likely won't have any at all.

If you need assistance finding a vet in your area, use this resource: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

What kinds of behavior changes should I look for? Again, it’s very young so I’m not sure what behaviors to look for.What kind of puréed food should I get?

You'll want to watch for avoidance of food or water, changes in skin color (such as a black beard), profound lethargy, etc. I would try chicken or turkey or a fruit source, like apple or peach.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse