Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I think my ball python has IBD. I adopted him because ibwas…

Hello. I think my...

Hello. I think my ball python has IBD. I adopted him because ibwas helping Petsmart treat him. He presented (im a tech for Banfield) with lethargy, anarexia and a difficult shed. After ab's and me giving him 3 ml subdermal LRS and force feeding 0.5 ml of food-water mixture and eye meds to help eye caps along, he seemed to perk up. Still not eating. Almost not even recognizing food source at all. Super friendly. Now he is twisting his neck upsidown and twisting. Seems very neuro

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the python. What is the python's name and age?

Simon....6-8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simon?

I really appreciate this

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

This absolutely does sound like IBD, unfortunately. Is the Banfield vet overseeing his care familiar with this condition?

Not really. I have about 15 close Vet friends and non of them know anything about snakes. It sucks. Nor do I. And ive never worked for an exotic vet before in my 12 years of teching. Ive read its terminal. I was going to euthenize him tomorrow
Wondering why i was just charged also $13 when it said $5. I was sceptical but i feel like im surrounded by experts lacking information about these guys.

I think you're taking the proper route here since IBD doesn't offer much hope of effective treatment or recovery. Another option would be having a second opinion obtained by a reptile vet. Since you don't have one, I would recommend this resource: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/ You may also be able to find a location that can see him today, though it's more likely they will be open again tomorrow for regular hours. If you want to be certain, blood films and tissue biopsy can be obtained to diagnose the IBD before euthanasia is performed.

Experts do not have access to billing information. Like most companies, we have a separate department that handles payment. I cannot even see the financial information. I can connect you to customer service but it will lock our thread and I won't be able to respond to your question further.

Its fine. Its worth it anyway. I took the snake thinking i could help it. But honestly i can spend the $ beyond my own resorces. He obviously is disoriented and i cant imagine he is not nauseous. All i have researched provides little hope in that there is little we will be able to do for him. And prolonging his discomfort i feel is cruel. What do you think

Honestly, if the roles were reversed, I'd elect euthanasia. Fortunately, I've never had an IBD case in my own home but I have seen quite a few while working in veterinary medicine. I've never observed one that has survived severe neurological problems, particularly when IBD was suspected. I would personally euthanize.

Thank you. I just witnessed his inability to lift his mouth from the bedding/felt like material. We used this to help his shed. Thank you so much for your advice. I will make sure he is no longer suffering. I have been a tech for a while and am very knowledgeable, so if u ever need my help.....also do u know of any reptile-human transition of whatever causes this??

You're welcome.

So far as I know, IBD is not known to be transmissible to people but it can be transmitted to other snakes. If there were other snakes exposed to him during his quarantine or sickness, they should be observed closely for any changes.

Thank you. Youre aweaome

Thank you. I'm happy to assist. I'm sorry it's not on better terms, but such is pet ownership, I'm afraid.

Oh how i know all too well. Have a great day.....and thank you

You, too.

Sorry. One more question. Where is the standard injection site for euthesol in a sick snake??
My vet is not familiar with them at all

I would recommend mask or tank with iso/sevo until he's completely limp. Your vet can find his heart using palpation+stethoscope and perform an IC injection. IP also works, but takes longer. Here's a rough diagram on where to be searching for the heart: https://benbigboybaker2.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/snake_organs_medium.jpg It may help to search before he's asleep as his heart rate will be higher. Once found, it can be marked with a marker and he can then be anesthetized, the location confirmed and the injection given.

A word of caution: a snake's skin can be tough. Depending on how big this guy is, your vet may want to use a 22g or 20g needle to help penetrate the skin. Sometimes bigger is better as snakes with tough skin can bend a finer needle (like a 24g) into a 90 degree angle. If an IP injection is given, make sure to keep the snake warm as cooler temps may slow the process.

Thank you. His skin is the normal consistancy.. rough, but i had no problem giving subderm fluids. I just realized that my 1 year old bearded dragon Rosie, may have been exposed. Can she contract IBD?

IBD afflicts only boas and pythons, so there should be no concern for Rosie so long as this is actually IBD.

Omg thank you so much!!!

Certainly.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy