Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My leopard gecko won't open her eyes. She hasn't been

My leopard gecko won't...

My leopard gecko won't open her eyes. She hasn't been eating. Her sister hasn't really been either. I thought maybe they were sick of meal worms so I tried a small horn worm today and noticed that one of them can't open her eyes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your leopard gecko can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your leopard gecko's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** was born August 2017.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blotches?

Well they are both captive bred by me. I've raised them both since egg. Spots is a month older. Blotches is younger so a little smaller. They are both female and are being housed together.

3/17/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about tank set up?

Substrate?Supplements?

Temp in enclosure?

Do you have moist hides?

Heat source?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are both currently in an 18X24 exo terra. They are on a gravelly reptile carpet. They have a moist hide which consists of Zilla jungle mix. The get calcium with vitamin D. Temp is at 76-80 degrees range with a 90-95 degree hot spot. They have a under the tank heater a long with a ceramic bulb.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was reading someone that had a similar problem and it was stuck shed. She did recently shed.

Your ambient temp is too low and can cause laehargy and lack of appetite. You will want the ambient tenp 84-88*. Retained eye shed can be a big issue and cause her not to open the eyes. Unfortunately there is not really a home treatment for retained eye shed. We can use some sterile saline in the eyes, but the shed will need to be Physically Removed from the eyes by a Herp Vet.

I can locate some Herp Vet for you with a State. For now you can start using the sterile Saline eye drops with no preservatives to loosen the eye shed,

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a herp vet I usually go to. They're closed on the weekends though. I'll raise her temp and get some eye drops in her. Thank you.
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician