Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Chinese water dragon have had him for 3 years - usually will…

Chinese water dragon...

Chinese water dragon have had him for 3 years - usually will only eat crickets but has not eaten like he was over the last 2 weeks - he does not like veggies - should i try worms - will he go back to crickets

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dragon will be able to digest that. What is the dragon's name?

Mushu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mushu?

Not really - he recently shed his skin over his entire body & head but that never phased him before - he would eat less during this time but still ate - he just stopped liking crickets I think - he would generally eat around 8-10 at a time and yesterday he had 3 after not eating for 2 days and would not eat any more

3/17/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have wored with Reptiles for over 40 years.

How old is your UVB light, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Supplements?

Temps in ambient and basking area?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Joan,Mushu has a 75W Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp all day & my son switches it at night with the Exo Terra 75W
Night Heat Lamp - when he tried the 100W Basking Lamp Mushu was always hiding from the lite under his
plant that's in his terrarium so we switched to 75My son sprinkles Zoo Med Repti Calcium powder with added D3 over his crickets when feeding him & he treats his water with
Zoo Med Reotisafe water condition
He is pooping fine in his water pool he swims around inHe just is not eating as much & turns his head away from veggies or tries them and plays with them but wont eat them
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not want to call you for an additional $28.00 - typing is fine

I do not see a UVB light listed. Do you have a UVB light. It would be rated a 5.0 or a 10.0

I really need to know if you have this bulb and are using it.

Please let me know on this bulb and I will respond. after I get this information.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not see a UVB rating on the bulbs we use only UVA - he us getting powder calcium with D3 added sprinkled over his food - no other supplements - should I change his lite bulbs to bulbs with UVB ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, which is better for him 5.0 Or 10.0 - are these for the day lites only or should his nite lites also include UVB bulbs - thanks Joan
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Forgot to tell you the temp in his tank is around 80-85 degrees

He is most likely ill due to no UVB bulb. All reptiles requier UVB to metabolize the calcium you are feeding into D3 in the body. The UVB helps the Immune system and is necessary. The bulb I suggest is the Reptisun 10.0 and should rum 12-14 hours a day along with a full spectrum basking spotlight.

Without the UVB and calcoum the result is Metabolic Bone Disease which causes Lethargy, softens the none, makes a Reptile weak and can even affect the organs.

I suggest getting a UVB bulb on him and see if he perks up. Make sure he is getting his calcium 5 days a week and a vitamin 2 days a week. Make sure the basking are is in the (0's and the tank is fin in the mid 80's.

You can try horm worms, meal worms, silk worms and dubia roaches. Hopefull with the the UVB, temp adjustment and different food, he will perk up.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rtae my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Joan,
We bought the UVB bulb last nite with a new lite & some meal worms - he nows has a heat lite, sun lite & nite lite so he should feel better we hope - thank you Joan!!

She should perk up with the UVB Bulb.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Joan, I bought Mushu a Corkscrew type bulb & am using it with a dome lite - after buying this I read that we should not ever use
the corkscrew type & to only use the tube fluorescent bulbs with a fixture that sits on top of the screen on the tank lidwhat is best to do?? I also read that he will not get full benefit thru the screen lid and I should put it inside the tan??Should I return the corkscrew bulb & get a tube fluoresent bulb? And we thought this was going to be an easy fix LOL

I personally Like the Linear tube. It has a better output of UVB

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Joan - will he get enough UVB placing it on top of the tank above the screen?

Yes that should work. I use them above the screen and no problems with my tanks. Just remember they do need to be replaced every 6 months.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much - glad I found you on this site - I hope we can get him healthy!!Have a great day Joan

Have a great week!

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He seems to be ok, when I turned the lite on the first day he went and sat under it looked up rechecked it out then stayed there all day and seems to like sitting under it - I'll let you know if he perks up - we also bought him meal worms and he's likes eating them - my daughter also has a bearded dragon so we bought her an UVB lite setup too and she loves it - she is very happy with this lite and noticed it right away and tried getting as close as she could to it - her name is ***** ***** yup Mulan and Mushu - thanks for checking in with us Joan

Glad things seem to be going good.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician