Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My Leopard Gecko lost his tail. It has grown back some but…

Hi, my Leopard Gecko...

Hi, my Leopard Gecko lost his tail. It has grown back some but is now shriveling up and he's not eating...?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your leopard gecko's name and age?

Nacho and unsure of his age, about 5 inches long

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Nacho?

I'm guessing 4-5 months

3/16/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What are the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) When did he last eat?

4) What bulbs are being used for the habitat?

5) How long have you had him?

6) What does his diet consist of?

7) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?
8) What caused the loss of his tail and when did this occur?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought the whole kit at Petsmart so I'm not sure of all the details. We use the moss. We've had him since September. He eats the little mealworms. We occasionally give him a small sprinkle of calcium. He lost his tail in the fall because my 8 year old was playing with him.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's been a week or so since he's eaten.

I'm not sure what kit you're referring to:

2) Is moss the substrate you're referring to?
3) Are you offering any live prey?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was the whole kit for leopard geckos that included all of the bulbs. Yes, the substrate is moss. No, no live prey besides the meal worms.

Can you share a link to the kit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know

Can you share a link to the kit?

I need as much information as you can give me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/starter-kits/zoo-medandtrade-reptihabitat-leopard-gecko-terrarium-kit-15028.html?cgid=500117

It shows that it comes with a thermometer, are you using it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it broke

Thank you. And can you share pictures of the tail in it's current state?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm at work and don't have a picture. It used to be big and fat and now it has shrunk and is wrinkled.

I think your best bet is going to be seeing a vet at this point. There's a lot of information missing from Nacho's history that would make it easier for me to tell you why your companion is not doing well. First things first, leopard geckos can suffer severe damage if a tail is forcibly removed. Temperatures being kept outside of optimal ranges (above or below) can cause illness which can change the pet's appetite and willingness to eat. It's hard to determine if that is happening with regular usage of a thermometer/thermostat. Some of these kits, as well, are meant to generally keep reptiles. Unfortunately, although marked for Leos they can easily cause problems for the geckos, as well. I noted the kit, for example, contains sand which can cause gastric blockages (though you're using moss), a red bulb which can cause stress and a UV bulb which can cause skin problems. I cannot be certain that there aren't other factors here within the cage kit, specifically, that might be a problem for Nacho.

For this reason, I think the absolute best bet is going to be for Nacho to see a veterinarian who can evaluate him in person. If you don't already have a vet that sees your reptiles, use this resource: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse