Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I did everything u told me and read up a lot more on

Hello again Anna I did everything...
Hello again Anna
I did everything u told me and read up a lot more on iguanas..sadly we have no reptile vets at all so it is all home treatment I am completely on my own here
So after I fixed the cage temperatures/humidity and lighting...have the pedialyte baths and syringe fed basil his food (greens/carrots) and gave him calcium supplements he looks a little stronger...I realize now that Basil was not ok from the first day we got him .. he was moving too close to the ground and has no use at all of his tail..I just assumed iguanas are like that...so now I realize it could be bone disease...
The situation now is this:
His tail has always been non functional since we I'd him..2 months back
His hind legs are extremely weak...he is not moving as he doesn't seem to have the strength...but it doesn't feel like is is completely paralysed he does have a bit of muscle strength in them..but extremely weak..
His front legs are weak also but they are stronger than when I first contacted you
He is not pooping..it has been maybe 5-6 days he hasn't pooped...anything I can do for him?
One of his eyes is closed a lot of the time..and when he opens it the pupil looks like it is under the lower eyelid..not in its correct position...his other eye is fine..(I do not suspect that he invested anything to block his poop)
In summary: very weak hind legs..paralyzed tail...not pooping...one of his eyes has an issue...
Any other advice on what I can do to help Basil best I can...again, no vets in Kuwait..only for cats and dogs and they refuse to see any other animals/birds/reptiles..I had tried with my birds before
3/16/2018
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello again. It is so sad that there are no vets because that is what Basil really needs. But I’ll try to help as much as I can. I’ll post some information for you as soon as I have it typed.

Thank you for waiting. I think you are right that Basil was not well from the time you bought him. Unfortunately, pet stores all over the world often sell animals that vare not in good condition. There is probably nothing you can do about his tail. He will just have to live with it like that.

As far as not pooping, we can probably help with that. You'll need to buy some baby food prunes. Drop a small dollop of the prunes right on the end of Basil's snout. Most of the time, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. Alternatively, you can syringe-feed them. Wait about 45 minutes. Prepare th eusual Pedialyte bath. Soak Basil for about 20 to 30 minutes, but after the first 10 minutes, with him still in the water, gently massage his underside from front to vent for an additional 10 minutes. That may be enough to help him poop. Be sure to supervise closely. You can repeat this process twice per day.

The eye problem does not sound like an irritation or infection. It, too, is most likely something we cannot help with. To soothe his eye, you can put in a couple of drops of saline solution (the kind used for contact lenses) a few times a day. You can also try an eye antibiotic ointment. In some countries you can buy Terramycin in a pharmacy without a prescription, so you might want to check on that. The following company does ship, but you'd need to email them to find out about international shipping and any laws pertaining to your country.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html

If you do order from them, you might also want to get a special liquid form of calcium they sell. It can get into the body more quickly than the powders:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Calciumglub.html

Other than that, just continue to get calcium into his body through soaks and the syringe if he won't eat. You might want to leave your UVB light oin for 14 hours per day for a couple of months in hopes of reversing the MBD more quickly. It does take a long time, regardless.

Let me know if you need anything else. You are doing a great job of nursing Basil, and I hope your efforts will apy off.

Anna

Thank you so much Anna...I will try to get the eye ointment...also I did find a liquid form of calcium at the pet store... I will do the baby prunes and try to help him poop...really hope little Basil's condition reverses...he has become an important part of the family and my twin boys are attached to him ... if I need any more help I will contact you ...thanks again for all the help
You're very welcome. Wishing you success.
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
I'm just following up on our conversation about Basil. How is everything going?
Anna