Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We bought a female red eared slider and we noticed that

We bought a female...

We bought a female red eared slider and we noticed that she's a little red in the back

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the slider?

She's also doing red poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the slider's name and age?

Katie

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Katie?

We don't know

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Katie?

But she's about 6-7 in

3/15/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

When you say red in the back where are you seeing the Red? In the shell. by the Vent area?

Do you have a UVB light, strength and brand?

Diet you are feeding?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in the vent. We have a UVB light. The brand is zilla.
We give them Adult turtle sticks and flooding food sticks

Thank you! The diet is not appropriate for sliders. They need 50% leafy greens or aquatic plants, 25% live prey and only 25% should be pellets. All food should be dusted with calcium and a calcium block available at all times.

From what you have described the turtle may have a prolapse starting. You can treat the area with a sugar patch. you do this by taking paper towels or a gause pad and place sugar on it and use a little cold water to make a paste and apply to the area. This will help shrink the tissues and may help the prolapse retract. The turtle should be seen by a Herp Vet to check the area and about the blood in stool. I would be happy to locate a Herp Vet for you with a State. Please hit reply for a Herp Vet and for discussion.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ohh oki. We live in the Bronx, NY
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ohh oki. We live in the Bronx, NY.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ohh oki. We live in the Bronx, NY..

These are NY Herp Vets. It is best it be checked out:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/newyork.html

A female turtle needs calcium on a regular basis since they cay produce eggs without a male present and eggs pull from the body.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you very much

You are welcome! You will find the stars to rate at the top of the page.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician