Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My leopard (well, my boyfriend's) leopard gecko won't open…

Customer Question
Hi my leopard (well...

Hi my leopard (well, my boyfriend's) leopard gecko won't open his eyes. I've been putting saline in them for two days (2x a day) and he can open them after that. He will also lick his eyes because it seems he doesn't like the saline. But I don't know what is causing it. He's eaten recently and his cage is warm and he has all the proper lightint *lighting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your boyfriend's leopard will be able to digest that. What is the leopard's name?

Queequeg

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Queequeg?

Not that I know of, I know very little about geckos in general He has been shedding frequently

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Reptile
3/15/2018
Reptile Expert: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 1 month ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this. It could be that he has retained eyecaps or has had difficulty shedding that is causing him to keep his eyes closed. Sometimes they can develop eye infections also. It might help to soak him for 10 minutes twice a day in warm water until all of the shedding is finished. If the eyes have discolored discharge or are crusty, and the soaking doesn't work, then antibiotic eyedrops may be beneficial.

Reptile Expert: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi, I'm checking in to see how things are going? Please remember to press RATE OUR CONVERSATION in the top right hand corner of the post--f you don't I will not receive credit for having helped you. Thanks!

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson