Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

He is extremely lethargic and weak. Eyes barely open. He is…

Customer Question
He is extremely lethargic...

He is extremely lethargic and weak. Eyes barely open. He is a juvenile Chinese water dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name and age?

His name is***** is maybe 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fred?

He was eating fine, kept in appropriate humidity and temps, and showed no signs of illness until now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Reptile
I am holding him and he just had a seizure - eyes are fully dialated, he was unable to control his head, and his tail whipped slightly. He is able to swallow on his own.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/15/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet etch for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the UVB bulb? Strength, age and brand?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in enclosure?

Joan

The UV bulb is 26 watt, tube bulb, a month old, and the brand is exo terra.Diet - crickets and meal wormsSupplements - calciumTemps - warm side 83, cool side 74Humidity - 56%He just had a very severe seizure a d may have passed away.

There are two common reasons for seizures, one is toomuch D3b and the other is the calcium is not being metabolized.

Do you know the strength of the UVB bulb?

How often do you give calcium?

Joan

He didn't make it.The uv was a tropical uv with 26 watts. He got calcium every day dusted on top of his crickets or mealworms

what I needed to know if it was a 5.0 or 10.0. I suspect it was the lesser bulb and that could account for not metabolizing the calcium and could have caused seizures and Metabolic Bone Disease. I am sorry for the loss. Sounds like the little Water Dragon was pretty bad. The problem with these e guys is they hide illness because they are prey animals and when they do show the illness it is too late.

My condolences on the loss.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan