Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Crusty closed eye....vet gave geramicyn sulfate...not

Crusty closed eye....vet gave...

Crusty closed eye....vet gave geramicyn sulfate...not working

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dragon?

Eye crusty abd closed...vet said bacteria..drops not working...eyw is closed

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the dragon can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dragon's name and age?

Ronan...4 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ronan?

No...eats well...excellent weight...active

3/15/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years

Was the Vet a Herp Vet?

Did the Vet stain the eye for abrasions and ulcerations?

Did they do a culture of the discharge?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to all of the above
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She seems baffled...keeps giving me the geramycin sulfate drops but they dont work
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello???????

I usually use Terramycin ointment which is very effective. You can try and find it locally, but I know it is sometimes hard to find. I know they carry it at most Farm supply stores. I will give you a link where you can buy it online.:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html

This is an ointment and is Oxytetracycline which usually covers Gram negative and positive infections.

What I suggest is to use a warm compress for the crustiness and Then use plain saline eye drops 4 times a day and Use the Terramycin as listed on the site where you are ordering it. Usually 2-4 times a day. This will aslo saty in the eye better than the drops.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.....thank you! Ive also read manuka honey might work too

Manuka Hony is great for injuries, but not in the eyes.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh...ok. the thing is...his eye isn't swollen or red...just crusty and closed...sometimes skin peels off...I can't help wonder if it is stuck shed...so confused...or lack of vitamin a. These creatures are so complex, as I am sure you know! ☺

Crsuty is an infection and the Terramycin is for the Crustiness that comes with an infection.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok....Terramycin it is! Thank you sooo much Joan....I will update you!

I look forward to the update.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
55357;�
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Omg!!!! Joan, the Terramycin arrived first thing this morning! Ronan's eye was completely closed. I had been doing the warm compresses and plain saline eye washes whilst waiting for the Terramycin....well, I put some on his eye before I left this morning and his eye is open!!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for helping my baby!!!! I am so relieved! I have given you 5 stars .... I will update you in a couple of days. I have put some more on his eye tonite. Again, thank you so very much!!!!

You are welcome! I am so glad it seems to be working. It is gram Neg/Pos and has always been successful for me.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well this morning I could not see his eye at all and this aft it is open!!! Yay! I am sooo glad I contacted you. As I said I will update again! ☺☺��

I will lookfor the update.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do. When I shut his lights off for bedtime the eye was closed but I'm not worried because it was open earlier and he was enjoying looking around. It is only the first day of treatment so I know it takes time.

Yes it usually takes about a week of treatment to get the best results.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He was so cute when it was open...his head looked like a periscope! ,☺

Happy to be able to see again.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure was!
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician