Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Stopped eating, very lethargic, eyes closed. Bearded dragon,

Stopped eating, very lethargic...

Stopped eating, very lethargic, eyes closed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon, about 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name and age?

Maximus, 7 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maximus?

Usually very active, usually eats as soon as worms are presented

3/14/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

Substrate?

UVB light, strength, age and brand?

Full spectrum basking spotlight?

Diet Veggies/prey?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

Did the Dragon Brumate this year?

Any bubbles from nose or mouth?

How long has the dragon been like this?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
40 gallon tank.
yes to substrate and spotlight.
10.0 uvb light about 6months. not sure of brand.
eats mostly goliath worms, some greens.
no supplements.
never has brumated.
no bubbles.
been this way about 4-5 days.

How old is the UVB bulb?

Do do not use a alcium supplement or Vitamin?

What are the Basking Temp, ambient temp, amd cool side?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is my wife's pet. She's away visiting her family. I called her, she doesn't know temperatures. no supplements or vitamin. says bulb is about six months.

The issues you are seeing may partially be related to husbandry. The UVB light is too old it will give light, but is no longer giving UVB. Another issue is the UVB needs to work with a calcium supplement that should be fed 5 days a week. The UVB works with the calcium to Metabolize into D3 in the body. Metabolic Bone Disease robs the bones of calcium and also affects the organs in the body.

The Dragon should also be geeting a Vitamin 2 days a week. The Diet should be 80% veggoes and 20% live prey over a year old.

I suspect all these issues may be part of the problem with the Dragon. THese issues need to be resolves as soon as possible. I would try to get a new Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb this evenig and see if he perks up. I would also check the temps. The basking area needs to be 105-110, ambient temp should be mid 90's and cool side in mid 80's. The temps could also can be weighing in on what is happening too. If they are incorrect. then he will shut down.

Lets try some first aid by giving him a nice shallow soak for 20 mins to hydrate him. When done dry him off and place him in the basking area. If he is not eating, we can do some emergency feeding by taking some chicken baby food and mix with a pinch of calcium and drop on the snout and allow him to lick it off. Repeat the feeding like this until he refuses.

If he does not respond to new light, calcium, soak and the feeding, he will need to be checked by a Herp Vet. I can locate some Herp Vets for you with a State.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

This is some Information on Metabolic Bone Disease:

https://avianandexoticvets.com/metabolic-bone-disease-in-reptiles

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician