Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My tree frog somehow are a piece of my hair and is

My gray tree frog...

My gray tree frog somehow are a piece of my long hair and is struggling to pass it. It’s hanging out of him still. I tugged on it once at first because I thought it was just wrapped around him at first.What should I do to help him? I trimmed the hair so that it wouldn’t snag on anything and get tugged again.He is less active, does seem to have eaten but did leave some crickets in his enclosure. He’s had one bowel movement today that I’ve noticed, just before I saw the hair.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your gray will be able to digest that. What is the gray's name?

Pardon me, that should read “somehow swallowed a piece of my hair”

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your gray?

I don’t believe so

3/14/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked woth Reptiles over 40 years.

This situation may require a Herp Vet but we can try some things first. My concern is if the hair wrapped around the intestinal tract, it can cut off digestion. This could be very serious.

We need to try and bulk him up with fiber to help expediting the passing of the hair. Please try feeding him some Pure canned Pumpkin about 2 mls. Pumpkin is a high fiber food and should help pass the hair. If the frog continues not to eat or gets lethargic, then a Herp Vet visit is recommended. This is really a touchy situation. If you need a Herp Vet, pelase let me know your State and I can locate some for you. The Pumpkin is uncoventional in frogs, but is fiber and that along with food I am hoping will sove the hair problem and will pass.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Thank you so much. Yes, I’m very concerned as well, especially given I tugged on the hair prior to realizing it was inside him.He did have one bowel movement, as I said, that expelled a good length of the hair, so I’m hopeful.How can I get him to eat the pumpkin? He typically only eats live food.We are in Greenwood, IN

You can try dipping the prey in the Pumpkin and hand feed. Another option is to water it down a bit and use a syringe to try and feed a little. The fiber would help stool pass and hopefully the hair.

Joan

These are Indian Herp Vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/indiana.html

If I have addressed your concerns, pelase take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Ok, thank you. I will try that. He has eaten but did leave some of the crickets (I gave him too many, so that was alright.). I am hoping it’s a decent sign that he was able to pass some of it already.
In the event things don’t seem to get better, could you recommend a vet in the Greenwood, Indiana area who treats frogs? I don’t think our regular vet does, but I’ve not yet heard a response from them.Thank you.
Just saw your latest message - thanks for the recommendation!! I will rate you with 5 stars! Thanks again!

You are welcome! If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Hello again,
So my frog still has the hair hanging out of him, but continues to eat and have bowel movements. It’s been about 4 or 5 days now. He seems a little less active than normal, but that may or may not be accurate.
I’ve yet to call a vet since he has seemed alright and was eating - do you think it’s ok to wait it out?

As long as he is eating and passing stool, I think you can give it a few more days and see what happens. This is an unusual situation and there is no concrete answers on how to treat it, As long as things are normal and his behavior is not off I thin waiting is an option.

Joan

Alright! Thank you so much! Hard to tell how active he is when he’s nocturnal, but things seems to be close to normal.I’ll continue to watch him and see how things progress! Thanks again for your help!

You are welcome!

Joan