Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I'm worried about him. Bearded dragon. He's been hibernating…

I'm worried about him ...

I'm worried about him

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dragon?

He's been hibernating for a couple months and not eaten during that time!! As a result, he's skin and bones!! I've been bathing him regularly to keep him hydrated but today when I bathed him, he's limp and his eyes are sunken!! I'm not sure if he's dead or still hibernating!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dragon will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?

Not that I can think of

3/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is he at all responsive when handled?

When placed on his back or side, does he move?

Are you seeing any breathing pattern?

Thank you xx

Is he at all responsive when handled?

Are you seeing any breathing pattern?

No he's not responsive!! Normally he lays in his bath and drinks the water but not today!! He seemed to have perked up a bit yesterday but today, nothing!!Its been difficult to see a breathing pattern for a couple weeks now!!He's not responded to being on his back since he's been hibernating!!

I am concerned with no responsiveness that he's passed away. I think it would be wise to locate a clinic that can check for a heart beat for you. Do you have a clinic in your area that sees your pets or would you like help finding one?

I have a vets near me I can see if they can help xx
I just don't want to bury him alive if his still hibernating xx

If a heart rate is detected, I would urge you to have an examination performed as he's clearly not doing well and needs urgent care. Just about any location should be able to assist in finding a heart beat. If a heart beat is not detected, he's passed. If you want to be 100% certain, you can request that euthanasia protocol be given to ensure that there's no chance he could be buried alive.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you, ***** ***** you know what happens xx

You're welcome. Good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy