Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I recently just got my second snake, I've been having a lot…

Customer Question
I recently just got...

I recently just got my second snake, I've been having a lot of problems with him including refusal to eat on his own for 5 months now and today I noticed the tip of his tail starting to come up and after getting a closer look it seems to be coming off... What should I do about both the feeding issue and the tail?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the snake's name?

Niama

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Niama?

I got him from a breeder in december and he ate both live and frozen mice regularly there but hasn't eaten on his own since he is about 7 months old.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Reptile
3/14/2018
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? What type of snake is Niama? Can you share pictures of what you're seeing? What protocols have been tried to get him to eat? Have you discussed his appetite issues with the breeder?

It's hard to tell exactly what is going on with the tail tip, but I surmise this may be due to retained shedding. Can you share a picture of Niama's whole body, as well, so that I can see his body condition?

Is he still drinking well?

What protocols have been tried to get him to eat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is drinking well and is hydrated. I feed both of my snakes in a separate tub. I've offered him the same rodent (frozen large mice) the breeder was. I thaw the mouse and offer it to him with tongs he will stare at it and slither away very uninterested. A picture of him is attached. What should I do about him tail?

Have you also tried smaller, live prey that's been stunned?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I cant keep live rodents so just do frozen

This may be part of the problem. The history you've shared said that the breeder offer both live and frozen mice regularly. Niama may well prefer live or stunned items. I would highly recommend trying live and if he does not eat doing one of two things. First, you can return the food item to the pet store if there is a return policy. Second, you can stun the item and feed it to your other snake. Finally, which many keepers do, you can use a humane method of dispatch and freeze the item for the next feeding. Having a second snake around when you have a picky eater is extremely useful as they will tend to eat whatever is avoided by the picky snake. I would also consider using live and stunned/prekilled gerbils and hamsters. Ball pythons are known to be picky eaters and they often need stimulation of their appetite. It may also help to increase the temps in your BP's cage 2-3 days before you feed as this can offer a natural appetite stimulant. His body condition looks great right now, so he can stand to go a few more weeks without food if it absolutely must happen. I would also strongly consider a veterinary visit if you cannot get your companion to eat, as well. If you need help with a vet reference, let me know.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How should I care for his tail?

I would start with daily warm water soaks. If this is retained shed, it will come off within a few soaks. I would also apply a dab of regular neosporin daily.

Checking in. How is Niama doing today? Any concerns with the care of the tail thus far?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is doing fine, just need to wait and see how his next shed goes I suppose

And any luck so far with him feeding with live/stunned prey items?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't tried yet, I offered the other day

Keep me posted on your progress. Hopefully this works. If not, we can keep chatting to find something that does.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright, will do

I'll keep an eye out for future posts from you. Good luck!

Checking in. How is Niama today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse