Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have a panther chameleon that has been in my care for

Hey, I have a panther...
Hey, I have a panther chameleon that has been in my care for about 3 months now. I got him as a juvenile about 3 months old. He is about 6 months old now maybe 7, The first two months i had him in a 16x16x36 enclosure and about a month ago i got a 24x24x48 enclosure. I have a 75 watt heating lamp and a 5.0 UVB bulb and the basking spot is about 85 F. His cage gets misted 4 times a day for about 2 minutes each time. I was feeding him dusted crickets and superworms mainly with the occasional hornworm and waxworm, i was dusting his food with regular calcium about every feeding and multivitamins and calcium with d3 every other week, about a month or so ago he stopped being as interested in his food and started to bite on the dead leaves in his cage and at the soil in his plants, the soil has no pesticides and he can pass it easily but its not nutritious and i am worried he isnt getting the calcium, vitamins or nutrition from regular food, he eats a cricket, superworm or dubia roach here and there but its like every 2 or 3 days, i know that they eat less the older they get but he is only 6 or 7 months and i would still be expecting him to be eating every day if not every other day. But he shows no interest in his food, he poops about every day or every other day and his poops look small sometimes with dried leaves in them and sometimes are big but the urate is usually white with little hints of light orange which i know is a sign of dehydration but i see him drink water everyday, large amounts too. He had a small case of gular edema about a month ago right before he stopped eating but i stopped dusting his food for about a week and it cleared up, I want the little guy to eat and get the right nutrition from his food but he is not interested in any food i try to give him. Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated and if you need me to answer any other questions about the set up i can.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Do you have a basking light beside the heat unit?

Do you have an auto mister?

How many days a week are you feeding calcium?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a 5.0 reptisun I bought it about 3 months ago should still be emitting if.
yes I have an auto mister it goes off 4 times a day for about 2 min each time.
I was dusting the feeders with calcium about 5 days a week when he was eating every day.

You should be using a Reptisun 10.0. It has been found the 5.0 bulbs does not have enough output especially going through the screen enclosures. You should alos have a full spectrum basking spotlight for the Chameleon to bask under. THe basking area under the light should be 95*.

We can help with the dehydration by giving a nice 20 min warm soak. This will help since Reptiles can absorb fluids through the vent and skin.

We can also start emergency feeding by mixing chicken baby foid with a pinch of calcium and dropping on the snout and allowing him to lick it off. This can be repeated until he stops and can be done several times a day.

I sugest a Fecal be done by a Herp Vet as well as a Hand on exam. This could be a bacterial infection or it may be a parasite issue. If you do not have a Herp Vet, please supply a State or Country and I can locate some Herp Vets for you.

Right now we have to address the dehydration and the not eating with the soak and emergency feeding.

Please hit reply and we can discuss this information.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you emergency feed a chameleon chicken I haven't heard of that but I want to do anything to help get him better, I can start doing the soaks though

Chicken bay food is my go to for feeding ailing Reptiles that are carnivores as well as using Critical Care. The chicken baby food stage one needs to be mixed with a pinch of calcium and 1-2 mls dropped on the snout and allowed to lick it off and then repeat until full. do this 3-4 times a day. I think a Herp Vet visit will be good too. I read in your other post about Gullar edema and this could be a Vitamin A issue.

Please hit reply for further discusson. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Isn't a panther chameleon an omnivore though and I don't know if he'd be able to just lick it off of his snout like that.

I am looking to get something going in as this is only emergency feeding. You can also mix green bean baby food in with the chicken baby food. I am trying to get it on the mouth where he will lick it and then willingly accept it. Chameleons can go down fast, They are prey animals and hide illness. Once they show a sign of illness we need to move on it, and not take the chance of going down. As I have suggested we need to get the chameon into the Herp Vet. I cannont diagnose on a computer, I can only offer measures we can take to help the chameleon from going down further,

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good I know a herp vet that looks at exotics about 30 minutes away, until I can get him an appointment there I will look into emergency feeders and do the soaks, thank you for your help!

You are welcome! Please take amin to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician