Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have an adult garter snake with a large (quarter size)

bulge/clog of dead skin about...
I have an adult garter snake with a large (quarter size) bulge/clog of dead skin about 2 inches above the vent. The snake is still active and alert but from the growth down there is discoloration in the scales and it looks dead. What can be done to help her?
3/13/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40+ years.

Can you post a picture of the area?

Are you sure the bulge is retained shed?

Joan

Do the pictures help at all?

Thank you for the pictures, but unfortunately that not show me what I need to see.. I am concerned when there is a lump that we may be dealing with an abscess. That could be a reason why shad may have stuck to it.

Abscesses in Reptiles are cheesey material that is thick. If this is the case, a Herp Vet will have to open the abscess and clean it out and administer some Antibiotics.

I suggest giving the snake a nice warm soak and see if you can remove any retained shed off the area. Once that is done, I suggest a Herp Vet visit to have the lump assessed and treated as needed.

If you do not have a Herp Vet, please supply a State and I can locate a Herp Vet for you.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?

Joan