Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Frankie is about a year old and he has started head shaking…

Customer Question
Frankie is about a...

Frankie is about a year old and he has started head shaking and flipping over . UVB is mounted inside the tank basking is 100 cool side about 85

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the mount's name?

He’s a bearded dragon -diet mainly of Dubai’s mustard collard and turnip greens

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the mount?

The light is rupson 10 ..just trying to give a run down on tank set up.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Reptile
3/12/2018
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 4 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

How old is the UVB bulb?

Do you feed any supplements? Type and how often?

Joan

Replaced the bulb about 2 month ago and it’s not a coil
Calcium with and without D3 3 times a week
I put him in the shower 2 days before and on the day of ..shower was on low but I wonder if it’s a ear propblem? Thought that maybe a soak/shower would help his feet and tail to shed better

Th e Dragons ears getting water in should not be a problem. My own Dragons put their heads under water and swim. I really suspect the onset of Metabolic Bone Disease. Calcium needs to be given 5 days a week and 2 days a week should be Vitamins.

It is possible that Frankine is not metabolizing the calcium adequately. What I suggest is to put him in a warm soak and add some calcium powder to the soak for 20 mins. Please start giving the calcium 5 days a week. To get some calcium into Frankie now you can feed some baby food chicken and a pinch of calcium in it and drop on the snout and allow him to lick it off. I also suggest a Herp Vet visit for a calcium level check, as well as to rule out a parasite issue that could cause this problem.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Could be -but he’s almost a year old and he took calcium daily but now that he’s older for the last couple of months it’s cut back to 3 times a week and 80 percent veggies and les bugs —-MBD is the first thing people-experts say ( just a fast diagnosis I suppose) ...needless to say I was hoping for more insight ..hope to learn more when he goes to the vet ..and he has no swelling of legs /joints ..this is not my first reptile and keep parrots and other exotics -thanks anyway

I will opt out and opn this up for other Experts. I have worked with Reptiles for close to 50 years. and I can only speculate on the situation. Generally when we see a Reptile shaking and rollig it is a result of MBD.

This will open for other Experts and maybe someone else can come up with some other opinions.

Joan

Sounds good to me- thank you no one else needs to respond thanks