Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My iguana ..about 6 months old...lost its appetite for a few…

My iguana ..about 6...

My iguana ..about 6 months old...lost its appetite for a few days and sleeps a lot

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your iguana. What is the iguana's name?

Basil

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Basil?

We are in Kuwait and sadly we have no vets for reptiles here

3/12/2018
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I’m reviewing your question now and will be right back.
I’m sorry to hear that Basil is under the weather. It’s too bad that there are no vets, but we’ll see what we can do to help him. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?What brand of UVB light do you have?Has there been any discharge from his nose or eyes?Is he passing normal droppings?Thank you.
Ok

Can you provide the other information I requested? I need to know those things in order to help. Here it is again:

What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?

What brand of UVB light do you have?

Has there been any discharge from his nose or eyes?

Is he passing normal droppings?

Thank you.

No discharge at all from his nose or mouth...his droppings are normal...it has been about 4 days or minimal eating...he does drink water occasionally...the light I use is for reptiles I'm not sure what the brand name is ***** ***** has both the warm light and the sunlight...We do give him some natural sun outside under supervision too as weather in Kuwait is warm this time of yr (28 degree celcius) the temperatures in his cage are about 80 degree Fahrenheit in the warm area and 72 degree Fahrenheit in the cool area...he does not like he is in any pain...he just seems to be extremely lazy and is not interested in food...
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting.

I suspect you got your information on care from a pet store. Most people do. While we should be able to rely on such information, unfortunately, it is often wrong. They sell people the wrong lighting, advise the wrong foods, and often don't know the correct temperatures for the various reptiles. After months of things not being quite right, the animal becomes ill. Some of what you have been told is wrong, and I suspect that is why Basil is having so much trouble. Even though you have been trying so hard to keep him healthy, when you didn't have correct information to begin with, things are going wrong.

After not eating for several days, lizards become dehydrated. This is life-threatening in itself, and also makes them even less likely to eat. So I'll start with a first aid measure for that.

Buy an electrolyte solution. In the USA, that would be unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). In the UK, it would be a product called Lectade, which is sold in pet stores. In Australia, it’s a human product called Dioralyte. One of these may be available in Kuwait. Just ask a pharmacist. The pharmacist can recommend another one if none of these are available. They are designed for sick infants. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 electrolyte solution. Soak Basil for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their skin and vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

Your temperatures are too cold. They seem warm to us, but iguanas need to be warmer. If an iguana is too chilly, it will gradually slow down, not eat and will not be able to digest its food properly. The temperature directly under the basking light should be 90*F to 95*F. The coolest part of the cage should be 80*F.

Iguanas need two kinds of light. The basking light provides heat. The UVB light doesn’t get very warm, but provides UVB rays. Without both types, an iguana will eventually get sick and die. If what you have is a mercury vapor bulb, it will provide both types. If it's not, you'll need to add another bulb that does provide UVB. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand of UVB light. Full-spectrum, SunGlo, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. The light must produce UVB rays to do any good. UVB bulbs are only good for 6 months, even if they still look fine, because after that amount of time, they don't emit enough UVB rays to keep the iguana healthy. It's good to plan on replacing the bulb every 6 months. However, the mercury vapor bulbs last indefinitely. You should also give him a calcium supplement. The following site has information on choosing supplements:

http://www.greenigsociety.org/vitamins.htm

Going outside for real sunlight is excellent, but it would have to happen consistently every day to be adequate.

There is far more to know about iguana care than what I can give you here. I suggest that you read all the information on the Green Iguana Society site. It’s reliable information, unlike much of what you’ll find online, or obtain at pet stores,

http://www.greenigsociety.org/careinfo.htm

Many times a few soaks and proper warmth will be all it takes to turn around a situation like Basil's. If those things don't help, it means he is really sick. In that case, you may be able to find a local vet who would treat basil by consulting with a reptile vet by phone.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope the soaks and warmth will be all Basil needs.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Thank you so much Anna...I will work on everything u told me and get the pedialyte ASAP ...as well as make his cage warmer with correct bulbs...Thank you soo much again your reply and information is excellent...We are at a loss here in Kuwait as all we have is pet store information and no vets..only vets for cats and dogs..
You're very welcome. Unfortunately, there are a number of countries that have no veterinary specialists. That makes it hard when something happens with a reptile or bird. All you can do is your best. We'll hope for a good outcome.
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist