Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My bearded dragon went into brumation the last couple of…

My bearded dragon went...

My bearded dragon went into brumation the last couple of weeks -- this morning I found her dead--- she was up and moving around yesterday -- took a poop and went into a corner of her tank and died! What happened -- I am not sure how old she is we got her from the school around 4 years ago and I am not sure how long they had her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dragon's name?

Troggy or Trogdor she is a female

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?

She had a good diet I believe she didn't look sick -- I fed her mustard greens apple sweet potato and bearded dragon bites -- she got meal worms her favorite about once a week or so

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I dont know if she just died from old age or what ? I am totally heartbroken -- she was the strangest thing I had ever seen when my daughter brought her home for the summer! I could tell she was unhappy in the small 20 gallon tank they had her in -- so we decided if we could keep her we would get her a bigger tank -- so we did and we put her in a 50 gallon tank -- she grew more after that --
3/11/2018
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I am so sorry for your loss of Troggy. However, sometimes beardies can do some strange things, so let's be certain she is dead. Pinch one of her back toes with a good firm pinch. If she has passed, nothing will happen. If she would happen to be alive, there will be a reflex action of the leg. To be honest, there's not much chance of that, but let's be sure. Let me know what happens.Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No movement -- I put her under some warm running water this morning to see if that would wake her and there was no response and shes starting to get stiff
That means it's certain, then. I'm sorry. While there's no way to be certain without having a vet do a necropsy ( and even then definite results are not always obtained), I can give you some ideas on cause of death. It will take me a few minutes to type that up, but I'll be back. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. It's very difficult to detect the early signs of illness in a lizard because they are subtle. One of the most common confusions around this is mistaking illness for brumation. It would be unusual for a dragon to go into brumation this time of year as the days get longer. They usually do that in the fall as the days grow shorter. It's possible Troggy was exhibiting signs of illness with behavior that mimicked brumation. Respiratory infections are one that result in a lot of sleepiness. They eventually result in pneumonia, which is often fatal. Other signs you may see with this include lots of open mouth breathing and appetite loss.If she truly had no other symptoms, but just passed away suddenly, we have to look at the possibility of a heart condition. Bearded dragons, like all other animals, can die from sudden cardiac arrest.I think those two conditions are most likely. Of course, there are other possibilities. It would take some detective work and a vet's help to narrow down all the possibilities.Beardies usually live about 10 to 12 years, so it is possible this was old age related. Regardless, it wasn't your fault in any way. You gave Troggy a good life. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help in any way I can. I know that words don't really help, but all I can do now is offer my condolences. I'm sorry.Anna
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for your help-- and yes now I am not sure -- she didn't have any type of open mouth breathing other than the regulating of temp -- nothing come out of her nostrils -- so now I am really stumped as to what the cause was-- and I feel terrible----------- :( there is nothing worse than not knowing why your pet died and if you should of done or could of done something --
You’re welcome. It does sound like this may have been a heart issue then. It would be similar to what happens when a young athlete’s heart suddenly stops beating for no apparent reason. There is nothing anyone could do.
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OMG I just read that females are supposed to lay eggs? Is this true? Troggy never laid one egg the whole 3 1/2 years we had her
I wouldn't say they are 'supposed' to lay eggs, but it normal for them. It's also normal for them not to lay eggs. Some regularly do it every spring. Others lay eggs on an irregular schedule, perhaps once, then not again for a few years. I also know of one case where a 9 year old who had never laid any eggs suddenly did. So, any pattern is ok.
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist