Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My turtle hasn't been moving around in the past few days.

Customer Question
My turtle hasn't been...

My turtle hasn't been moving around in the past few days. He's just sleeping so it seems all day and night. Even trying to wake him isn't helping.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your turtle. What is the turtle's name and age?

Max.....we found him on Valentine's day a hatchling. Set up tank like we were told and he seemed to be doing well. We recently added decor that he seem to love but now he's hibernating on it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Max?

Not sure. I'm guessing a week a two when we found him 2/14/18

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

We've been feeding him reptomin baby sticks but I'm not sure if he's been eating since we got him because we see lots of left over in the tank

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 4 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear Max is having these problems. An indoor turtle kept in a tank should not be hibernating. Something is wrong. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and in the water?What brand of UVB light do you have?What kind of turtle is Max- slider, painted, mud, etc.?In what part of the country was Max found?Thank you.