Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

How to slider turtles hibernate? Ours has not eaten in a few…

How long to slider...

How long to slider turtles hibernate? Ours has not eaten in a few months. Nothing. And now won’t swim or open his eyes. Very concerned. He does move around tho but won’t keace his dock. Thinking it’s more than

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the turtle will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the turtle?

....More than just hibernation

3/11/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you tell me where the turtle Hibernated?

UVB light strength, brand and age?Full spectrum basking light?

Diet ?

Supplements?

Water temp?

Basking temp?

Joan

We found him when he was about the size of a quarter and have kept him in a 15 gallon tank filled with the same pond water that he would normally be living in. He eats mostly sun dried river shrimp and we keep him outside in the sun every day that it is warm enough so he can sun on his basking rock. Our plan was to release him back into the pond when the water started to warm up here in Hilton Head, SC. He had been very active until the weather changed and he started his brumation cycle. Now we feel like he is acting more sluggish than usual.
We were just curious if he may still just be brumating? If so, how much longer do you think here in SC?

Do you have a UVB for when he cannot be outside?

Did he go to the bottom of the tank to hibernate?

Does he get a calcium supplement?

Joan

No uvb, everyday we put his tank outside on our balcony when we see his turtle friends outside on the pond edges Sunning.
Yes he was at bottom of tank to hibernate, would come up on occasion when sun was out, now for the past few days just sits dry on his dock. He does not get any supplements. Should we release him sooner than later?

It sounds like he is in torpor which is a slow down Not hibernating and not fully functioning. His diet should be 50% leafy greens, 25% pellets and 25% live prey or cooked meats and he needs a calcium supplemnt. In the wild he is able to get what he needs that is equal to this diet. He also needs direct sunligh. If filtered through glass or screen he is not getting the UVB he needs.

With this being said, and it sounds like the weather is warm enough and he is awake enough to be released, I would put him out when it is a nice warm day and allow him to go back with other turtles. I think he will do better and thrive now on his own and along with other turtles.

Please hit reply for concerns and discussion.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Thank you so much. Good points. We will do that ASAP on the next sunny warm day so he has a fighting chance!! We will miss him but we want him to live and be happy.

I think he will be better at home where his can have all he needs and pleaty of room to swim.

Joan

You said it. Thank you! I think that’s what we needed to hear. Goodnight Joan

You are welcome! Have a good night.

Joan