Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Well, she is a 6 year old ball python. im not exactly sure…

Well, she is a...

Well, she is a 6 year old ball python. im not exactly sure how much she weighs and ive had her for almost a month now. she hasn't eaten yet, which i know is normal for newly introduced snakes, but shes also been yawning and hissing loudly at night randomly. she did have an audibly squeaking sound for about 3 days but it ended around a week and a half ago. she is my first reptile so i'm slightly paranoid about RIs!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the python will be able to digest that. What is the python's name?

Cocoa

3/10/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. Can you tell me what her enclosure is like please? (temp high side vs low side, humidity, day/night light cycle length) Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
her hot side is 89-91F with the cool being 80-83F. her humidity is always around 60%, sometimes 65%. she gets 11 hours of day, 13 of night

Thanks for the info. Yeah a month can be pretty normal for a ball python. It sounds like her enclosure is set up right. In the past, I have gradually increased the daytime length by 30 minutes a week until it's even up to 16 hour days to stimulate an appetite. Once they sense the day is increasing the appetite usually kicks in. Other tricks I have had to use (especially with some finicky ball pythons) is to add a moist sphagnum moss hidebox so that the snake can actually choose it's own humidity level as well as temperature level within the enclosure, and B12 injections to stimulate appetite.

If all else fails you can tube-feed Oxbow Carnivore Care to stimulate the GI tract if she hasn't eaten for let's say 6-7 weeks.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it goes! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! Please remember to accept my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson