Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have an African Fat Tailed Gecko and I’ve had him for

Hi! I have an African...
Hi! I have an African Fat Tailed Gecko and I’ve had him for about 3 and a half weeks.
About 2 days ago, I saw that one of his eyes have been closed shut. I thought I had to do something with his humidity, since it gets really dry in my room (30-40%). Well I started misting his enclosure (a 15gal enclosure with 1 hot, 1cold, and 1 moist hide. He is on paper towel).
I started noticing his eye has started shutting..? I’m not going to lie but I’m ashamed to say he got out of his enclosure about 2 weeks ago and I finally found him2 days ago. When I found him, I saw he had some stuff in his eye. It looked like he had been caught in a spider web or had some dust in it?
I soaked him in warm water and tried to cotton swab his eye stuff out, but he kept twitching.
This morning, I woke up to both eyes shut and he also hasn’t eaten as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think he can see very well or at all. I also tried soaking him in warm water as well last night.
The “good” thing I guess is that he has been very active, in fact I couldn’t sleep half of the night with all the noise he was making.
The thing is, he’s literally about to go into shed; he’s very milky so I’ve been misting his enclosure about 3-4 times a day.
I read on an article that sterile saline uses for contact lenses would help flush his eyes out, but I’m worried if it would do more damage than help him?
Any help and/or tips would be great, thank you!
3/9/2018
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I',m reviewing your question now, and will be right back.

I'm sorry to hear that Onion is having a problem with his eyes. As far as not eating, it's normal for lizards to not eat as they prepare for a shed. If the appetite loss continues after he sheds, it would be best to see a vet. If you need to do that, this link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

He may have gotten something in his eyes or injured them during his escape, but it is equally likely that he developed an eye infection. Giving him a nice soak and making sure the humidity is right are important steps. However, it would be best not to try to use a cotton swab in his eye. Little fibers can come off causing further irritation, and it is also possible to accidentally cause an injury. It would be fine to try the saline solution. It will help if there is irritation or something in the eye, but will not cure an infection. You would need an eye antibiotic to do that. Here is a reputable site where you can buy one:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html

An instruction sheet will come with it.

To keep the humidity up,you can add some safe live plants. Lack of humidity can also cause eye problems, and this species actually needs 50% to 70% humidity. This link will take you to a list of plants that are safe for reptiles:

http://www.anapsid.org/resources/plants2.html

Any number of things could have happened to Onion while he was running around the house. If he doesn't quickly shed and return to normal, I would have him in to a vet for a complete exam. If you have more questions, just let me know. I'm happy to help. I wish Onion a complete recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You're very welcome. The saline is a good first step. Thank you for the photos. He definitely looks like he is preparing to shed. I don't see discharge from his eyes in the pictures, which is good. It's also good that he is active. If he becomes lethargic, that's a sign that something more is going on and he would need to see a vet. I hope that doesn't happen.
Alright, thank you very much !
I'm happy to help!
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist