Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have an African Fat Tailed Gecko and I’ve had him for

Hi! I have an...

Hi! I have an African Fat Tailed Gecko and I’ve had him for about 3 and a half weeks.
About 2 days ago, I saw that one of his eyes have been closed shut. I thought I had to do something with his humidity, since it gets really dry in my room (30-40%). Well I started misting his enclosure (a 15gal enclosure with 1 hot, 1cold, and 1 moist hide. He is on paper towel).
I started noticing his eye has started shutting..? I’m not going to lie but I’m ashamed to say he got out of his enclosure about 2 weeks ago and I finally found him2 days ago. When I found him, I saw he had some stuff in his eye. It looked like he had been caught in a spider web or had some dust in it?
I soaked him in warm water and tried to cotton swab his eye stuff out, but he kept twitching.
This morning, I woke up to both eyes shut and he also hasn’t eaten as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think he can see very well or at all. I also tried soaking him in warm water as well last night.
The “good” thing I guess is that he has been very active, in fact I couldn’t sleep half of the night with all the noise he was making.
The thing is, he’s literally about to go into shed; he’s very milky so I’ve been misting his enclosure about 3-4 times a day.
I read on an article that sterile saline uses for contact lenses would help flush his eyes out, but I’m worried if it would do more damage than help him?
Any help and/or tips would be great, thank you!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the gecko will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the gecko?

That is all, thank you.

I'm sorry, I'm new to this site and accidentally put this into dog specialist, my apologies !
3/9/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

When it comes to the eyes we do use sterile Saline eye drops without preservatives. The Saline is great for irrigating the eyes and to lubrcate them when there is a problem. Since he had debris in the eyes and you tried to use a cotton swab and that may have caused a corneal abrasion.

With a situation with the eye I like to suggest a Herp Vet visit to check the eyes and get some medication to treat the eyes. I can locate some Herp Vets for you with a State. I Have another option you can try for the eyes, but the medication is hard to locate locally. It is terramycin. You can order it here:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html This is an Antibiotic that is over the counter and usually sold at Farm Supplies.

Please hit reply and we can discuss this information.

Joan

Oh I did not know cotton swabs would do damage..
I would like a list of herp vets please, that would be great.For Saline, so I drop it in his eyes or something else? I’m not sure how to put them in?I’m not sure if I should do it after or before he sheds?
Here are some photos I’ve taken.

You can use the saline after the shed. It will help at that time. If the eyes are swollen which I cannot see in the picture there could be a Vitamin A issue and if that is the case, she does need to see a Herp Vet. I would try the saling and the Terramycin and see how the eyes do. If it does not help, then a Herp Vet will be needed.

If not eating you can try some chicken baby food mixed with a little calcium and drop on the snout and allow her to lick it off.

This is emergency feeding until you can see the Herp Vet.

Please hit reply for further discussion. If I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan