Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have a Leopard Gecko, and lately he has been getting

I have a Leopard...

I have a Leopard Gecko, and lately he has been getting thinner and thinner. He is approximately 11 years old, and a few months ago he was perfectly fine. I am feeding him liquid food from a syringe, but lately it has taken about 20 minutes for me to get his mouth open to feed him, because he clamps it shut. He has also had some problems with his eyes and shedding, so I went to the vet to get some eye drops for him. They weren't helping much, so I reduced the amount of drops that I would put in his eyes each day. It has been about a week since then, and his health is still diminishing. Could this be the end?!? Someone please help!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the leopard gecko's name?

Lizzy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lizzy?

The eye problem that he has is an eye ulcer, but thats pretty much it.

3/9/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Was the Vet you had seen a Herp Vet?

Did he attempt to remove retained eye shed?

Diet?

Supplements?

Was a fecal done?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vet was not a Hero Vet, and no he did not try to remove retained eye shed. I used some solution to flush the skin out of his eyes, and that seemed to work, but shortly after, he closed his eyes again. His diet is a Emerald IC Omnivore powder, that Is made into a liquid to give to him. He is not drinking either, so I am having to give him water by strange too. He is on Baytril and Orasweet. No, a fecal was not done.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also the eye drops I am using for him are an Ofloxacin Ophthalmic solution, and I am giving him them in the morning and the night, each time one drop.

I can tell by what you described the Vet knew nothing about Geckos.

I am going to make some suggestions to help him, but he does need to see a Herp Vet to see if there ais still reatained eye shed, as well as a feca and start him on Vitamin A which is usually a reason for a bad shed. I do not recomd giving any liquitds vis syringe or eye dropper too easy to cause aspiration Pneumonia.

Lets star with a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak. You can soak for 15 mins then rinse with clear water and dry him off. The soak is for hydration it only has to be shallow. Reptiles can absorb fluid through the skin and vent area. Once done with the soak we will start emergency feeding using chicken or beef stage one baby food mixed with some calcium powder and some Royal jelly. The Royal jelly can be gooten in a healthfood store in capsules you will open it and add the powder inside into the baby food and calcium to make a nutritious slurry. The slurry can be dropped on the snout and allow the geckoto lick it off. The food can be repeated until full several times a day. Thisslurry works well for ill Reptiles.

I can locate Herp Vets for you with a State or Country.

For the eyes, you can use Plain Saline in them 4 times a day. Because you are giving a Antibiotic I suggest you give a Probiotic becasue the Antibiotic kills off gut flora and stops appetite. You can get Benebac at the pet shop in gel form and also feed tat once a day.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am soaking him in warm water for 15 minutes every day, and that has been helping him shed more. He doesn't have any more retained eye shed, either.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could I find most of the items you provided at Petco?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also applied the plain saline for a while before I went to the vet, and it didn't seem to do much.

The eye will still need to be examined to see if they are ok after having retained shed. He also needs to have a fecal run to check for Paraistes. I am sure if there was a bad shed the Vet will want to give some Vitamin A to help with the sheds.

The slurry I gave you is excellent and will help increase the appetite and get some weight back on.

Baby food and pedialye is sold at the grocery store. The Benebac and calcium is at Petco and Royal Jelly can be found at a health food store. The saline is tohelps soothe the eyes, he most likely need an Opthamic ointment.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure that the solution I'm using is an Opthamic ointment, (Ofloxacin Opthamic Solution), but other than that, thank you so much!!!

Yes that is a liquid. You may want to try this fr the eyes:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html

It stays in the eyes longer and is very good. I gave you the link since it is sometimes hard to find.

If you find you need a Herp Vet just come back here and I will get you a list.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you again!!!

You are welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician