Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My turtle was floating this morning. I brought her out of…

Customer Question
My turtle was floating...

My turtle was floating this morning. I brought her out of the tank and she stretched her neck up and opened her mouth. I put her under the uvb light but she seemed limp. I moved her to a hospital bin and put her under an incandescent bulb. Water temp is 78. Food is hatching pellets, spinach, strawberries, carrots. Tank is a 75 gallon fish tank and she and another turtle have a dock.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes. No wound on the foot

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the turtle's name?

Crush

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Crush?

Now that she's under the incandescent bulb she is more responsive but keeps sticking her head up and opening her mouth wide.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Reptile
3/8/2018
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 1 month ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come on line at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. She has improved a lot being under the incandescent bulb. But still seems to be stretching her neck and opening her mouth wide... maybe trying to breathe.

Yes, when they do that they are having trouble getting oxygen in. I'll be back with an explanation, but she will probably need to see a reptile vet in person. If you want to start looking for one while I type your information, this site has a directory of them:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

I'll be back again.

Thank you for waiting. As you suspect, stretching the neck and breathing with the mouth open are signs of bretahing difficulty. floating in the water often indicates there is fluid in the lungs.

There are several possible causes for such respiratory symptoms, ranging from an irritation to heart trouble to cancer. However, the most likely cause is a respiratory infection. While that seems similar to the common cold in humans, respiratory infections in turtles are dangerous. Without treatment, they typically progress to pneumonia, which is often fatal. You can read more about respiratory infections by scrolling down on the following page:

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtles/turhealth.htm#nose

Respiratory infections respond well to prescription antibiotics, such as Baytril. I recommend that you make an appointment with a reptile vet as soon as possible.

When a turtle is ill, warmer temperatures can give the immune system a boost. The area under the basking light should be about 90*F. The ambient temperature should be 78*F to 82*F. Providing warmth is really the only supportive measure you can take at home until you can see the vet. You made a good decision to do that already.

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help in any way I can. I hope Crush will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist