Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My red ear sliders live in As in pond outdoors. In winter…

My red ear sliders...

My red ear sliders live in As in pond outdoors. In winter they brumate. I found one upside down in bottom of pond. I took it out. It swelling internally perhaps due to eating something and body cannot function due to colder water temperature. I have red ear slider wrapped in towel in house. It seems it just needs to downsize in body cavity. Water sometimes bubbles out of mouth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the slider's name and age?

Tadeo age3 or four years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tadeo?

He is alert and shifts his body but weak perhaps

3/7/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

What you are describing sounds like this could be Kidney issues/ We see this type of swelling when the kidneys malfunction. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done at home for him if this is a kidney issue or a systemic infection. I have to suggest that he sees a Herp Vet as soon as possible to be properly diagnosed and treated. I can locate some Herp Vets for you with a State or Country.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and a Herp Vet list.

Joan

Thank you, ***** ***** have an exotic pet vet. Sincerely, Kristina

Please let me know that the outcome is and how the turtle is doing.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician