Baby chameleon, eating fine, but tongue has dark spots, wondering what's up. Veiled cham. Gambino, 2-3 months. Doesn't

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: baby chameleon, eating fine, but tongue has dark spots, wondering what's up
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: veiled cham
JA: OK. What is the chum's name and age?
Customer: gambino, 2-3 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gambino?
Customer: doesn't drink a ton of water, eats a lot of crickets misted regularly, drip water
Answered by Jav917 in 29 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
he's new to us. only had him a few days. he's rather skinny. very active.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Personally I have never see dark spots on a chameleon tongue. The only issue we normally see with the mouth is stomatitis and that is also known as mouth roth and would be indicated by yellowish and dark spots on the gum line causing the inability to eat. This does not seem to be the issue.

Since Gambino is new and you have noticed this issue I suggest a Herp Vet well Chameleon check to be sure there are no issues going on.

Chameleons are very fragile and always wise to have a new one checked for any parasites and other medical issues.

I can lcoate a Herp Vet for you with a State.

I do want to dvise it is good to have a timed auto mister since Chameleons do dehydrate easily. and sometimes misting and a Dripper is not enough. I also advise the UVB light be a Reptisun 10.0 and a good calcium supplement be used 5 days as week and 2 days a Reptile vitamin. You can also add some bits of leafy greens to the diet beside the crickets and other prey. Acceptable pray are silk worms, Phoenix worms and dubia roaches.

Please it reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer
i live in maryland. yes we have a uvb and a heat bulb, using a calcium supplement, haven't started vitamins yet

Please be sure you have a 10.0 UVB. Most pet shops try to sell a 5.0 which is not strong enough.

These are Herp Vets in MD:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/maryland.html

Overall with his eating and activity level I do not think anything is wrong, but best to have him checked out to be sure.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I strive to give complete and educated answers.

Joan

Customer
why a 10.0 ? when i look up the bulbs it says 5.0 for chameleon's...

We have 5.0 UVB lights are not supplying adequate UVB and the Chameleons aquiring MBD because of the lack of UVB. Some of this problem may be due to the screen filtering out some of the UVB rays.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.