Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have a leopard gecko. He has been great til his last

I have a leopard...

I have a leopard gecko. He has been great til his last shedding. I dont think he can see clearly. He usually comes out to eat...but instead its more like he cant see it so he rather go in house and just sleep. he repeatedly is licking his eyes to get whatever is in them out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the leopard gecko. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?

George, not sure of his age...Id suspect he is an adult age. He was given to me 6 mths ago one eye is cloudy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the leopard gecko's name?

The other just look like something is in it..outlined. his name is george

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about George?

This is first time he acted like this...it was since he last shedded...which was a few days ago.

3/3/2018
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Do you have a moit hide for George to use for shedding?

Can you see retained shed in the eyes?

Did he retain shed anywhere else on the body?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if you are referring to thing I call his home...It looks like a tree...but he hides inside it and sleeps in it. when he sheds he is in.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he has fully shedded..except his toes...it is the only thing still shedding.. his eyes is the issue....its like he can see..but not really. he keeps licking his eyes when he is able to open it. i wet his eyes to help him get them open.

We generally have two hides. One is dry and acts as a normal hide whet you are speaking about, but Geckos also need a Moist hite to be placed in the warm area of the tank and the mosit hide acts as a moisture chamber for shedding.

What you are seeing with the eyes will require a Herp Vet visit. It is retained shed and has to be removed carfully and an antibiotic started in the eyes. Until you can get him into a Herp Vet you can keep the eyes moist with some sterile saline eye drops no preservatives. 3 times a day. If you do not have a Herp Vet please supply a State or Country and I can locate some for you.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. In the mean time you can hand feed his feeders and he should eat for you. If that does not work we can use chicken baby food with a pinch of calcium dropped on his snout and allow him to lick it off. Repat the process until he is full.

Joan

Did you need a Herp Vet list? Please let me know. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan

How is the gecko doing? Is he taking the baby food?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hand fed him yesterday 3 meal worms. Got some saline for his eyes...trying the soak bath on him.

The retained shed in the eye needs to be removed by a Herp Vet. It will continue to accumulate if it is not cared for. I am glad he is eating by hand, but I feel he does need to be seen to give him the best quality of life where he can have his vision and hunt.

When you get a moment please do not forget to rate my service. I am not paid by the site for my time and answers until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician