Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I think my snake has died. Are two weeks ago. Chased and…

I think my snake has...
I think my snake has died. Are two weeks ago. Chased and wrapped up baby rat day before yesterday but could not or would not kill. Was responsive, moving, and seemed normal, checked this morning, mouth was open and she wasn't moving or breathing. Help! Soaking her now.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/2/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When you picked her up to soak her, was she entirely limp?

When did you last see her breathing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. I just don't know what happened. Yes, limp, head was kind of up but no muscle tone, weird links to her bones.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. I just don't know what happened. Yes, limp, head was kind of up but no muscle tone, weird links to her bones. Last saw her breathing yesterday.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am very concerned that she has passed if she is limp. I think the absolute best thing to do right now would be to find a vet that can see her. Most clinics will confirm a DOA pet at no charge to the owner. If she is alive, she will likely need to be hospitalized with around the clock care. Do you have an ER location in your area or do you need help finding one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was thinking she had too. I just don't understand how. She wouldn't eat rats the other day but was interested in doing so. I just thought it was get tail. It was blsck and I googled that and found the shedding issue but now I'm thinking she got sick somehow but there didn't seem to be any warning. I'm at work so I couldn't go until tomorrow and if she's not gone, she will be then.

Having her body examined post-mortem or even a necropsy by a reptile vet may give you answers, though this can be costly. One of the more common causes are respiratory disorders but parasites can also cause a decline in health and organs can also malfunction (such as the heart failing). This can certainly cause a rapid decline in health and death, as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've been reading up on those issues. I was going to take her to the herpetariyum tomorrow to find out. I'm so sad. I had her for 8 years. This is just very shocking. She seemed fine.

I'm very sorry. I truly hope that she has not passed, but if she has hopefully they will be able to give you a final say so on what happened. If it turns out that you need additional help locating someone else to perform a necropsy, please let me know and I'll be happy to research in your area.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. I thought I knew about snakes but I guess I didn't. I had no idea they could pass this suddenly. I feel so guilty. I would love to know if there's anywhere nearer to me. I'm in Benicia, ca.

Here you are: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califn.html This is a resource for vets in northern cali that work with reptiles. I can personally recommend Dr. Sanders here: http://www.wildwoodvet.com

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse