My bearded dragon start coughing.... can i ask what type of med he needs??? the problem is - we get him from person who

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hello, my bearded dragon start coughing.... can i ask what type of med he needs???
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dragon's name and age?
Customer: the problem is - we get him from person who has no clue how old is he he is pretty big around 30sm from to
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dragon?
Customer: he keep his head upright whicj is a good sign, but not eating much (but its winter) and cough- thats the question...
Answered by Jav917 in 4 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Is the Dragon an adult?

Size of Tank?

Substrate?

UVB light strength, age and brand?

Basking light?

Diet Veggies/prey?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

Any bubbles from nose or mouth?

Joan

Customer
Is the Dragon an adult? YES HE IS.Size of Tank? 19 x 18 x 48 inchSubstrate? was chips but we switch to stone , napkin.UVB light strength, age and brand? from Pet Smart.Basking light? ZOO MED.(from Pet Smart)Diet Veggies/prey? refuse to eat veggie from very beginning, just superworms and hornworms.Supplements? vitamins and calcium.Temps in basking area, ambient temp and cool side? baskin - 88, cool zone - 76Any bubbles from nose or mouth? yes, from mouth.

I sthe UVB a 5.0 or 10.0 and how old?

When you say stone substrate do you me tiles or actual rock?

I have a lot to go over with you when I get these answers.

Joan

Customer
UVB at 5.0 - 6 monh old.
Actual rocks.

THe UVB is too old and weak. You need to change it to a Reptisun 10.0. They are only good for 6 minths. Remove the rocks and use tile, cage carpet or paper. They are the only accepatble substrates.

The diet should be 80% veggies and 20% live prey. You will have to work with the veggoes. They can include collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion green and flowers, escarole and curly endives. The Pey shoul Not include super worms or meal worms. They are too high in chitin, Fat and can cause liver disease. The accpetable prey are crickets, silk worms, Phoenix worms, horn worms and dubai roaches fed at 20%. This is a veggie nutrition sheet. Please follow the green vegges: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

The Temps in basking area should be 105-110, the ambient temp mid 90's and cool side at mid 80's. This is important to be sure the dragon is digesting its food.You need to give calcium 5 days a week and 2 days a Vitamin.

The coughing could be a result of the cedar bedding. It is toxic. It gives off toxic fumes when warmed. THe basking light would be a good reason for this to happen.

In a case like this with a Cough the Dragon needs to see a Herp Vet to determine if the fumes has caused some lung damage or if there is a respiratory infection.

I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State or Country.

Please hit repy to discuss this information.

Joan

I will be stepping away from the computer on an extended break 2 hours+, but will be back on and will check for your response. Please supply a State or Country if you need a Herp Vet and any concerns You would like me to address. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
Thanks

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.