I have been sick for s couple days, I went to check on them and one of the heat lights must have broken, my larger guy

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have been sick for s couple days, I went to check on them and one of the heat lights must have broken, my larger guy seems to be frozen and my other one seems fine, is he dead or in a hibernate state? He is semi stiff but doesn’t look sick just kind of frozen and not moving. The cage is cold but says it is about 47, I will get some new lights but I’m not sure what to do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Sorry, iguana
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes, I have two iguana that live in a large enclosure in a pool house. We have had colder then normal weather
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the iguana. What is the iguana's name?
Customer: Tito is the one who is lethargic
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tito?
Customer: Never seemed to have anything wrong, nose is a little scaly but they shed a lot, they didn’t have fresh food for s couple of days but had iguana food. There water had leaked as well so was pretty scarce
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My Name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for ober 40 years.

Do you have any regular light bulbs in the house?

Do you live near a Walmart?

Joan

Customer
I am currently adding another heat lamp

We need to get the enclosure warmed up. Iguanas will freeze up when cold and 47* is enough to do that. I am in Fl and when temps drop the Iguanas fall from the trees.

Try to add some bulbs tonight to get the enclosure warmed up. You can get bulbs ar Walmart as they have Infra red bulbs in their Pet dept or you can pick up a regular Halogen bulb for warmth.

I would like to see you get your Iggie into a soak and gradually add some warmer water until the water is at 85 and soak him for 20-30 mins. This will gradually warm him and not shock the system. It will also hydrate him as they can absorb fluids through the Ven as well as skin.

Please hit reply for any concerns. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Wanted to check in on your Iggie and see if you were able to warm him up and get him feeling better. I hope the information was helpful and he is doing better.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.