I am having trouble with him pooping. He eats his veggies, just started eating his worms after a month. I have had to

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I am having trouble with him pooping. He eats his veggies, just started eating his worms after a month. I have had to soak him to go and know that Is not working. Got some baby prune down but that did not work. This has been going on for awhile. Pooping only 12 to 14 days with bath but now nothing. Been like 18 days
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Bearded Dragon age 2
JA: OK. There are all sorts of infestations the Dragon can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Dragon's name?
Customer: Spike
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spike?
Customer: My son was in the flood in Houston had to move him but things have not been the same since moving him. Temp is good humidity can't get it down. So since August things have professed. He looks good but one thing is my son has force feed him Dubai roaches that he has never had because he would not eat any worms only veggies. I have always been able to get him to go with bath and massaging but not this time.
Answered by Jav917 in 2 hours 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with r\Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure>

Substrate?

UVB light,, age, strength and brand?

Full spectrum basking spotlight?

What type of Veggies and worms?

Supplements?

Temps in basking are, ambient temp and cool side?

Whan giving the baby food prunes did you also do a soak?

Joan

Customer
I got him to poop today in his soak but I do believe he has a problem.75 gal glass tank, UVB 150 1 month old SloGlo, basking bulb that is above his log, he does bask, collard greens, kale once weekly just alittle, spinach not often, purple gabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes alternate. Superworms, Dubai roaches calcium and vitamins. Temp 90 to 105, basking temp 80 to 85, cool side 60. I would give prunes but not always do a soak. Do you think maybe I need to remove veggies and just feed 5 worms a day to see if that will get him going to the bathroom. For over 1 month all I could get him to eat was veggies, no worms, no roaches.

Thank you! The super worms should not be fed at all. They are high in chitin which makes the had to digest and cause blockages, they are also high in fat that over time cause liver failure. The prey that is acceptable prey is crickets, dubia roaches and for worms Pheonix worms, silk worms and horned worms. AS far as veggies if over a year collard greens, mustartd greensm, dandelion gtreens, escarole, curly endives butternut squash and acorn squash. The Cabbage is too gassy, The spinach and kale bind Kale, the carrots can cause vision issues. This is a color coded nutrition list:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

THe Veggies will help with the passing of stool. Over a year old the diet should be 80% veggies and 20% live prey.

To get him regulated you can use the baby food prunes, but give the 2mls and then wait 45 mins and then into an 85* soak and whil in the soak do an abdominal massage for 20 mins. This should promote a stool. Once you get the diet corrected that should make a big difference in the passing of stool. I also want to not that adult dragons only go once every one to two weeks.

As far as the tank temps you want the basking area 105-110, the ambinet temp Mid 90's and the cool side mid 80's. The temps also help with digestion.

Please hit reply to discuss this infprmation. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
All I have is Superworms, I will have to order the others. I have the sun is roaches but you have to force feed them. Anything that moves fast he will not chase. So what is the best worm to order, can't order them all.

You can go with the Veggies and no super worms for now. I like silworms as a staple, but the Phoenix worms are high in calcium so they are both great feeders. If he will not eat the roaches, you can use Green Been baby food mixed with chicken baby food and a pinch of calcium and feed that until the worms come in.

I suggest you double check the Nutrition sheet for the staples. I mentioned a few but there are other veggies that are good.

The Veggies and the silk worms or Phoenix worms should help with the stools. They are both soft bodied feeders.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If Not please do not forget to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.