My chameleon has been lethargic and not eating for two days. and before that he only ate two worms and nothing the day

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my chameleon has been lethargic and not eating for two days. and before that he only ate two worms and nothing the day before. he ususally loves the worms and crickets I love him and was wondering if there is anything I can do tonight, the vet is closed
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your chameleon will be able to digest that. What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: Nelson
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nelson?
Customer: Im looking at him but I can't think of anything else, his eyes may be a little sunken but not sure, I think I may be just looking for some kind of signs. Ive read so much. I have only had him for about a month
Answered by Jav917 in 12 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

Can you tell me what type of enclosure you have?

UVB bulb, age, and strength?

Basking bulb?

Supplements?

Temps in basking are and ambient temp?

Do you have an auto mister?

Joan

Customer
repti breeze 1 and half x 1and half ft repti sun 10.0 UVB bulb daylight UVB 60 watt calcium with d3 every other Wens and calcium without d3 every other day but he hasn't ate so he hasn't got his supplements
No mister, he gets misted 39 seconds 3 times a day. He also has a dripper than runs 30 mins three times a day
Customer
you can just send me a message with your advice
Customer
hello, are you still there

Thank you! Any time for 20 mins. a chameleon stops eating, it becomes a critical situation. We can do some first aid and see if he will feel better. Lets get him into a soak of 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte. When you take him out rinse off with plain water dry and put in basking area.

More to come.

Joan

Customer
He has never ate continuously, every 20 mins. I have already tried putting him in the shower. i didn't think it was good for him to be submerged in water

For feeding tonight, I would like to mix some baby food chicken mixed with plain calcium and drop on the snout and allow him to lick it off. If you do not have a Herp Vet I can locate some with a State.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

As far as supplements you should be using plain calcium 5 days a week and 2 day a Vitamin. They need a daily supplement. D3 is not needed in the calcium, if you have a good UVB light.

Joan

In this situation soaks are great for hydration and usually will help. Reptiles absorb fluids through the vent area and through the skin. YOu do not have to make the soak deep only so it covesrs the Vent area.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.