I have a Murray River Turtle which has lived inside in a heated aquarium for his 20 years of life. He keeps ripping the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a Murray River Turtle which has lived inside in a heated aquarium for his 20 years of life. He keeps ripping the silicone out of his aquarium, causing it to leak. Also although it is s big tank (4ft long) he has limited room to swim. In December we moved him to a lovely nee outdoor pond, which after taking a while to get used to, he seems to really enjoy. I’vd Been told that I should leave him there in winter and he will hibernate but am worried about doing this as he’s never been in the cold. Where I live it can get down to approximately 10 degrees Celsius in the day during winter(although usually warmer) around zero probably the lowest at night. I’vd been told that heating the outdoor pond isn’t really a workable option, but am uncertain about returning him indoors as he continues to damage the aquarium and could cause it to leak while we’re away for an extended period. I believe if that happened and he had to move outside during winter the shock could kill him. Any thoughts please. I want the best for him. Thank you.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the turtle?
Customer: No. He seems quite healthy. Has sometimes had fungus whilst indoors but all good in his new outdoor pond.
Answered by Jav917 in 14 hours 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
What are connecting me with a real estate lawyer, my question is for a vet.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with reptiles for over 45+ years.

There are several options for you to help your turtle. You could leave him in the pond until it starts getting really cold and set up an acrylic tank with no silicone and no seams as a holding tank for the winter and when it warms up put him back in the pond.

You can get a large acrylic tank and just keep him inside all the time or last but not least, you can allow him to go to the bottom of the pond and hibernate.

In my opion the best option would be an acrylic Holding tank for winetr and the pond for fall, spring and summer.

Of course the decision is yours, but those would be the best options and it would prevent the water leaking from the silicone. You can buy molded tanks to size, you would just need to do some checking around. to see who can manufacture one for the size you need.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.