My son has a veiled Chameleon that is 2 months old. In the last 2 days it's exhibiting odd behavior- looks like

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: HI
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My son has a veiled Chameleon that is 2 months old. In the last 2 days it's exhibiting odd behavior- looks like neurological problems; reaching/grasping at nothing, lethargy, not able to move around, eyesight seems off.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Chameleon. What is the Chameleon's name?
Customer: Halo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Halo?
Customer: no
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Full spectrum basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in enclosure and basking area?

Automister?

Joan

Customer
Hi Joan,
-She is in a screened cage (generic set from Petco, maybe 2x2x3 ft) with schefflera arboricola and pathos plants
-She has a brand new UVB and basking bulb from ZooMed positioned 6+ inches off the top of the cage
-She is eating live banded crickets and the occasional mealworm. My son says she has been eating 4-5 day and that he was dusting them a 2x times weekly with the Repti Calcium without D3. He also has Zoo Med Reptivite that he has only given twice. I've just had him add fruits and veggies to the crickets bin, to help provide more nutrients. He had been putting cricket food in there with a slice of pear or apple.
-Temps are within her appropriate range - 80-83 degrees F at top and gradually lower down to the bottom.
-He has been misting the cage 3x daily for water. We had a drip tube too but he stopped using that. not sure why.
I've attached a couple photos for reference.-Only other note I can think of is just that he does seem to take it out of the cage to play with, putting her in other house plants to hang out in living room with some frequency, and has taken it on excursions in the car to his grandmother's house (20 min drive) and an art class to draw her. Mentioning just in case too much activity or change in temps could be a cause.Thanks so much for your help!!
Jake
Customer
Wanted to add that the dusting has happened 2x week and that the other times he has been feeding her just "plain" crickets without dust. :)

Do you know the strength of the UVB bulb?

Just to confirm, calcium was only 2 days a week?

Basking are temps in 80's?

Joan

Customer
basking in upper 80s and the calcium was being dusted 2x a week. UVB bulb is 13 watt.

UVB bulbs are rated s a 5.0. 8.0 or a 10.0 but all are 13 watt. I was trying to see if the UVB was 5.0 or 10.0. The chameleon needs a 10.0 and most pet shops will sell you a 5.0

Calcium needs to be given 5 days a week and is matbolized into D3 in the body. If this is not happening, then the chameleon will get Metabolic Bone Disease and that is what I suspect. Because of the Neurological symptoms. The lack of coordination and seeming cannot grab branches are a sign. In the early stages it can cause tremors. This is some information on MBD.

https://www.thespruce.com/metabolic-bone-disease-in-reptiles-1237237

I would be sure you have a Reptis sun 10.0 UVB bulb, start calcium daily. If need be hand feed for now. He should be seen by a Herp Vet as he may need a special calcium supplement. I can locate some for you with a State.

I would also make the temp under the basking light at 90, and reduce the ambient temp in the enclosure to mid 70's.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Did you need a Herp Vet or do you have further questions?

Joan

Customer
Joan,
I'd love a suggestion. We live in the 98118 area code in Seattle, Washington. For now, I went and got a 10.0 UVB bulb (old one was 5.0). I set her basking area to 90F. I also got Flukers Repta Boost supplement. We've started to dust the crickets with Calcium and will moving forward, and then 2x a month dust with Calcium+D3. We gave her a small .5cc of that. She seems better so far. Does that sound about right?
Customer
Sorry just to be clear, we gave her a .5cc of the Flukers, NOT the Calcium /D3.

Be cautious with the calcium with D3 is can cause a toxic reaction. D3 is manufactured in the body when the chameleon eats the calcium and in the body i is metabolized into D#, so when you add D3 it can cauase an overage.

These are Herp Vets in WA:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/washington.html

There are several Herp Vets in WA.

Joan

Customer
Thank you for all your help.

You are very welcome! Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive Rating.

Joan

Please disregard about rating. I was just notified you have rated my service.

Thank you for the excellent rating.

Joan

Hi Jake,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer
She seems to be doing well. No signs or symptoms anymore. Thanks for all your help!

Glad to hear she is better.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.