Lizard (beardie) about 10 months old.... hasn't ate well in 3 month... really not at all he has lost some weight but not

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: lizard (beardie) about 10 months old.... hasn't ate well in 3 month... really not at all he has lost some weight but not a lot, wont eat live bugs or veggies that he was eating before. I have started feeding him water with a dropper once a week and we still bath him, just nothing seem to work for his eating
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the lizard will be able to digest that. What is the lizard's name?
Customer: zilla
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zilla?
Customer: nothing that I can think of, he hasn't shed at all in the last 3 month either
Answered by Jav917 in 27 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the Habitat?

Substrate?

UVB light, coil or tube, strength, age, brand and strength?

Basking light?

Diet prey/supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

Joan

Customer
We changed his cage to a larger one. 48 in long but way taller than his other. Temp in non basking spot is 80. Basking is 97-100. We use a basking light, uv light, and ceramic bulb. The ceramic bulb stays on the lights are only on from 7am to 10pm... I added a pic of his tank. Now he has the felt lizard fabric as liner and two logs that let him climb up closer to the top for basking.Diet has always be broccoli, collard greens, or kale then every other week we get a few crickets. When he was eating this was perfect no issues but now he won’t hand feed like he use to or even eat the live cricketsHe is losing some girth but still has good color. Eyes look good too. He hasn’t shed skin in at least four months and before it seemed way more frequent but maybe because he was growing so quick.I can take photos or provide any more info just ask. I’m not opposed to a vet visit either if u recommend someone

Can you tell me specifics on the UVB ligh?

Is it a linear tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb and brand?

Do you have a basking light? What you described is a heat emitter and not used for basking?

Do you use supplements?

What is the temperature in Basking area?

Joan

Customer
I can’t really describe more than I did. The ceramic bulb is white 100 or 150 I think....it is newest... the others are less than a month old. the basking bulb 75 or 100 w, the uvb bulb is something the store picked out.I’m not sure I know the difference in a basking bulb and heat light? The store picked it out and said it was basking I think I said basking on box too but it was our only heat too other than heat rock for a while.Under lights is about 100 degrees, in corner under heat lamp where lizard sleeps is 80-83 degrees... other corner where food stays 75-80ish

The UVB light needs to be replaced every 6 months and supplies UVB artificial sunlight which works with a calcium supplement that is given 5 days a week. This helps to prevent Metabolic Bone disease. The creamic heat emitter is not a basking light and if that is what you are using you need a Full spectrum basking spotlight. Dragons need light that gives heat for basking. Not a heat emitter that should only be used at night for extra warmth. The heat rock should be thrown away. They are deadly and cause thermal burns.

The diet you were feeding as far as Veggies was wrong. We do not feed broccoli because of gitrogens, Kale binds calcium. The only foods are acceptable are the green veggies in this link:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

The temps in basking are should be 105-110, the ambient temp in the tank should be 90's and the cool side the 80's.

Temps and lighting help control the activity lavels as well as appetite.

The UVB light needs to be replaced ever 6 months. If you have not replaced it that needs to be done.

To try and feed mix chicken baby food with Green bean baby food and a pinch of calcium. Drop a dab on the snout and see if the Dragon will lick it off. Repeat

and continue to feed as much as you can several times a day. YOu can saok 3-4 times a week.

Since the Dragon is over a year old it is possible that if sleeping it is brumating. They usually enter brumation in late Nov or early Dec if your Dragon is over a year. I know you said 10 months, but this is a possibility is actually a year old.

Overall, I have to suggest a Herp Vet visit to have your Dragon checked out. I can locate Herp Vets with a State.

Joan

Customer
Thank you I will try the chicken mix and locate a vet!!! I have gotten attached to the guy and am trying it all

If you supply a State I have a list of Vets by State.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take amoment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid bty the site until I have a positive pating.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.